Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2015, 11:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default New regs and testing requirements - NSW - AU

FIRE TRUCK...

See below from my inspecting engineer... anyone else aware of this or have more specifics..???

Hi Chris just got an email from the RMS and they are requiring all compliance evidence from all certifiers, re ICV vehicles, for you this means a Beaming and Torsion test will be required, as will a list of all part and details in regards to compliance, (this would include all lighting, instruments, seating evidence of testing etc. will be required, brakes, Fibreglass tests etc., glass must be marked etc.)

The RMS have just announced that they will be inspecting all cars, which also means the costing for the report will most likely go up. Beaming and torsion testing will cost extra as discussed originally. This is a step in the wrong direction by RMS but it is necessary to weed out some people doing the wrong thing. This doesn’t only effect you it is everyone who has a ICV in the process. Just remember that everything you put on that car needs to be E marked, have test information or a Component registration number, or be from a passenger car and can be documented.

The RMS inspection will not happen until they are satisfied with the paperwork that is provided to them, then they will inspect the vehicles for conformance with the paperwork and when they are happy they will issue a VIN number then I will be able to write the report for you to get rego. I would say it has just added another 12 months and $$$$ onto your project as that’s how long it will take to get a number out of them to register the car. Sorry for the bad news but just got it through from RMS 1 hour ago.

LS3 motor, TR6060 box with Falcon ABS, 17" Halibrand wheels, 3.55:1 Ford Racing IRS and Willwood brake upgrade
Old 12-10-2015, 12:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Sounds like you guys will be really up against it. How far in are you, and don't you have to get a VIN issued when you start so there's a line in the sand?

Just call it a hot-rod and it'll breeze through

Commiserations,
Glen
Old 12-10-2015, 12:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

Fibreglass testing???????? WTF?
Old 12-10-2015, 03:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

The only thing on that list that hasn't always been done is the "fibreglass testing", whatever that is. ICV's have always needed a torsion and beaming test as far as Im aware. What say you Treeve?
Gav likes this.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrisons # 62 302 T5
Not Ranked     

Chris

All sounds pretty standard (or was for QLD years ago). Such details are usually supplied by the manufacturer. How long have you been working with your engineer? Did you import the FFR yourself? If you brought it in through Component Cars, they would likely be able to provide you with all the evidence you need.

Geof
Old 12-10-2015, 01:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

hi Geoff,

The further explanation from the engineer was that EVERY component on the car needs to have an E mark or be a part from a recognised AU compliant vehicle.

What this means is that a car I had at gokart earlier this week now needs to be stripped down and rebuilt / fitted with new components meeting the above criteria... and even though I have beam testing results that APPARENTLY a new set will be required for EVERY SINGLE VEHICLE of the same type.. !

How is it they can apply a change without notice with no transition period and cost ICV builders thousands...

WTF is all I can say.. !!

LS3 motor, TR6060 box with Falcon ABS, 17" Halibrand wheels, 3.55:1 Ford Racing IRS and Willwood brake upgrade
Old 12-10-2015, 02:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

If this is actually the case I wouldn't want to be a Pace builder. You would only ever be able to build a car using donor parts - nothing custom or fabricated. Makes no sense.
Gav likes this.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3514, LS3, Dual Quads, Holley Dominator EFI, TR6060, VE 3.7 LSD, AP Racing Brakes, 17x8 & 10 Custom Dragway Billet Wheels.
Not Ranked     

I can't believe this is the case, I think the engineer hasn't interpreted the email, please get a copy if you can. Is he a well known vehicle engineer?

Not every part on an OE car is 'e' marked in fact very few of the parts, most parts in fact are called "non descript" and don't require any evaluation or documentation at all.

I would be getting a second opinion from another engineer Chris., it might save you $$$$lots.

As others have said torsion and beam testing and compliance to the relative ADRs, which include all your "E" marked items anyway have been required for a very long time. Your engineer should know this.

Based on this email, the aftermarket business would be dead in a week, especially the fiberglass bumpers, flares and tonneau covers, etc etc, .....oh no, I've made some bits myself recently too.

I'd get a second opinion Chris before panicking.

Dave
Tenrocca, Gav and Towmaster like this.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dax
Not Ranked     

Yeah that's not what the email says at all.

The email says to follow the process he should have told you about from the start.

Nothing new here, it's just about having the right paperwork ready for the VIN application.

Treeve
Tenrocca, Gav, Rob. Smith and 1 others like this.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Treeve,

It is new unfortunately... the Engineer was advised yesterday by the RMS.

Its not every component.. but all of the major ones. Brakes, engines, lighting, instruments... the usual ones, seats, belts etc remain as is as they are essentially stand alone.

The differences in the brake system for example are that all of the components must be from AU compliant vehicles or have an E stamp AND the system must then pass the braking tests re pedal pressure and stopping distance.

My understanding is steering racks that dont come from an AU compliant vehicle wont pass either...

That beam test data is required for EVERY vehicle of the same type is ridiculous.

Rather than p!ss everyone off I was hoping someone may have access to the detailed RMS info and have a view of what the implications were.

Last edited by SydneyChris; 12-10-2015 at 03:32 PM..
Old 12-10-2015, 03:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dax
Not Ranked     

I was on the same email, and it meets what I've been told before, and what I've been doing for years, so it's not new.

What you have just presented though, isn't what the email says.
Gav likes this.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Replica, 5.0 Supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenrocca View Post
If this is actually the case I wouldn't want to be a Pace builder. You would only ever be able to build a car using donor parts - nothing custom or fabricated. Makes no sense.
There are Pace cars on the road in NSW so I guess Pace builders are OK
Old 12-10-2015, 04:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace Alumina 427 #69
Not Ranked     

Yeah I was going to say hasn't a Pace just been licensed in NSW. Call Pace and ask who their preferred NSW Engineer is. That bloke should steer you in the right direction....
Old 12-10-2015, 04:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: absolute pace chassis #50 L98 & 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

i think chris engineer has either misinterpreted the email or is either using scare tactics to extract more dollars from his customers . i would be looking for a second opinion at the least or looking for a new engineer to be honest ..
Old 12-10-2015, 04:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeve View Post
I was on the same email, and it meets what I've been told before, and what I've been doing for years, so it's not new.

What you have just presented though, isn't what the email says.
thanks Treeve,

Will chase it down further with the Engineer.... am bloody confused now as to what the changes ACTUALLY were and if its nothing new, why I wasnt advised of these requirements months ago.

Chris

Old 12-10-2015, 04:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Chris,
Surely the thing to do before even starting to hand out cash for anything at all on a Cobra replica build is to apply for a VIN. That means that you then have to formulate a "statement of requirements" which details anything of significance that is to be used on the build. From that point on, if the Transport Department rules change, you're still OK. I am, however, assuming that is the case in NSW (as it definitely is in SA).

Cheers,
Glen
Old 12-10-2015, 05:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ok... 30 mins with the Engineer later...

The CHANGE is that the RMS will, until further notice, perform detailed inspections of all ICV and hot rod ICV vehicles.

This is apparently as a result of a small proportion of the Engineering community submitting inspection reports for vehicles that were never either inspected or would clearly fail the relevant criteria for safety and compliance. As a result the RMS has taken a good deal of the Engineer's discretion in the inspection process back in house.

The RMS will require paperwork for ALL components of the vehicle that are covered by the applicable Australian Standards... I believe its within the range of ADR 01 - ARD 83, with not all ADR's applicable to ICV's.

For all components included above that are not from an ADR compliant vehicle, individual testing or calculation reports consistent with the requirements of the relevant ADR will be required. eg, uni and CV joints, drive shaft calcs, steering shaft torsion, seat belt mounting / anchorage points.....

Basically for either the owner / builder or the Engineer there is now several inches of paperwork required to provide explicit and comprehensive compliance of the installed components with the relevant ADR's.

None of the above would apparently restrict the ability of the inspector on the day to defect the vehicle.

Apologies if I scattered the pigeons.. ! Technically the regs havent changed, but the process and the jurisdiction of the Certifying Engineer has undergone significant revision.

Old 12-10-2015, 05:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
Chris,
Surely the thing to do before even starting to hand out cash for anything at all on a Cobra replica build is to apply for a VIN. That means that you then have to formulate a "statement of requirements" which details anything of significance that is to be used on the build. From that point on, if the Transport Department rules change, you're still OK. I am, however, assuming that is the case in NSW (as it definitely is in SA).

Cheers,
Glen
hi Glen... Im was never aware of a similar process in NSW.. although strangely.. it makes sense..

Chris

Old 12-10-2015, 05:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Guys its different in each State.

For Victoria the certifying engineer requests the VIN from Vicroads once having undertaken the inspection.

I believe this process was implemented a number of years ago as there were a lot of VIN's issues to cars as WIP that never reached it to registration. So a lot of vacant spots in the VIN register.

Makes some sense for managing the numbers as only cars that have achieved sign off and hence likely to proceed to that final step are being supplied a VIN.

But each State to their own sadly!
Old 12-10-2015, 06:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyChris View Post
hi Glen... Im was never aware of a similar process in NSW.. although strangely.. it makes sense..

Chris
Chris, I've just learnt that your system is different to ours in SA. My apologies.
I hope it works out to your satisfaction.

Cheers,
Glen

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: