View Single Post
Old 12-14-2015, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPCOBRA View Post
I need to get a little more ground clearance for my oil pan and bell housing. I have a 460 with a Richmond 5 speed. My issue is if I bring the engine up an inch, I am hitting my hood scoop with my air cleaner. I already machined the aluminum base of the air cleaner to reduce its height. Does anybody know of a fiberglass hood scoop that would give me the extra 1 inch under the hood and nicely blends in with the stock hood? Thanks
I also have a 460 with a Richmond 5 speed. I'm currently running a 9"x2.25" round K&N element with a K&N X-Stream top on a flat base. The assembly fits up into the scoop with a small amount of clearance.

I have toyed with the idea of a wider scoop so I can use a 14" filter, mostly prior to going to my current setup. Some of the European replicas (e.g. DAX) use a wider scoop - not as large as the one on the 'Super Snakes', just wider, perhaps a bit higher and a bit less rounded.

Photos:
1) Taller, wider scoop on JBL:

2) AK Cobra scoop - wider, not necessarily taller:

Shell Valley has a large scoop in their catalogue - part number C80817070HS. It's listed as 31.5" long, 18.5" wide (presumably flange to flange) and 3.5" high. It also looks like it's more rounded, more like the original style scoop than the angular DAX scoop. Cobra Replica Hood Scoop

Last edited by cycleguy55; 03-30-2019 at 01:57 PM..