Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 12-13-2015, 08:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     
Default Hood scoop

I need to get a little more ground clearance for my oil pan and bell housing. I have a 460 with a Richmond 5 speed. My issue is if I bring the engine up an inch, I am hitting my hood scoop with my air cleaner. I already machined the aluminum base of the air cleaner to reduce its height. Does anybody know of a fiberglass hood scoop that would give me the extra 1 inch under the hood and nicely blends in with the stock hood? Thanks
Old 12-14-2015, 05:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

Make sure your measurements are right; especially the rear , height needed at the front, middle & rear! Send me the hood with type manifold, CARB & air cleaner you are using and I will modify your hood to work. REMEMBER, ITS ONLY AS GOOD AS YOUR MEASUREMENTS!

PS. Very common mod, ESPECIALLY for BB's.
DV

Last edited by Double Venom; 12-14-2015 at 09:35 AM..
Old 12-14-2015, 05:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

HP,

Mine was slit horizontally, a 1" section added (well maybe it was a bit more than 1") and re-fiberglassed. A small "baseball cap" insert was made to reduce the rain intake - don't know if it really works; I've driven it for hours in torrential rain.

The aesthetics are not as good in my opinion, but it was a choice for adequate airflow. Otherwise I would have ended up strangling the engine with a small air filter.

Tom
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2015, 09:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tom, that looks very "typical" for a BB. I forgot, did I do yours? ��
Old 12-14-2015, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPCOBRA View Post
I need to get a little more ground clearance for my oil pan and bell housing. I have a 460 with a Richmond 5 speed. My issue is if I bring the engine up an inch, I am hitting my hood scoop with my air cleaner. I already machined the aluminum base of the air cleaner to reduce its height. Does anybody know of a fiberglass hood scoop that would give me the extra 1 inch under the hood and nicely blends in with the stock hood? Thanks
I also have a 460 with a Richmond 5 speed. I'm currently running a 9"x2.25" round K&N element with a K&N X-Stream top on a flat base. The assembly fits up into the scoop with a small amount of clearance.

I have toyed with the idea of a wider scoop so I can use a 14" filter, mostly prior to going to my current setup. Some of the European replicas (e.g. DAX) use a wider scoop - not as large as the one on the 'Super Snakes', just wider, perhaps a bit higher and a bit less rounded.

Photos:
1) Taller, wider scoop on JBL:

2) AK Cobra scoop - wider, not necessarily taller:

Shell Valley has a large scoop in their catalogue - part number C80817070HS. It's listed as 31.5" long, 18.5" wide (presumably flange to flange) and 3.5" high. It also looks like it's more rounded, more like the original style scoop than the angular DAX scoop. Cobra Replica Hood Scoop

Last edited by cycleguy55; 03-30-2019 at 01:57 PM..
Old 12-14-2015, 02:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ed,

Long time no talkee!

Fred Gimbel in Fawn Grove PA did my scoop.

I still recall you lending me your truck to chase parts when my Ford 521 crate motor ate its distributor and cam gears after 871 miles. Then storing my car so I could return and trailer it back to PA. I think maybe that was DVSF II or something like that. Thanks!

After it was rebuilt I have 33K+ miles, street and track, and it is still going strong

To get back on topic, here's my filter, a K&N E-3514, 4" high, 13" long and 7-3/4" wide. The lower and upper aluminum flanges need to be added in to get the full height.

Since I use the Holley EFI throttle body I benefit by about 1-1/2" in height; the Holley carb is 1-1/2" taller.

Tom
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2015, 05:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You know, after I looked at the above picture it occurred to me that those who use carbs are not necessarily doomed to absorb that 1-1/2" height difference between the carb and the throttle body.

A carb user could get probably 3/4" of that height back by using a drop-base filter lower pan.

Any more than 3/4" might begin to interfere with the throttle linkage, or potentially cause float bowl heating and the resultant boiling of the liquid we now laughingly call gasoline; since the alcohol has been added with the accompanying lowering of the boiling point, it created major problems for my cars. The short version is that when the liquid boiled, the carb(s) dumped lots of liquid into the intake, killing the engine and making a restart a genuine frustration.

I wasn't able to use the drop-base approach because of the fuel rails - which stuck up high enough they interfered with the 14" x 3" filter base. That's why I ended up using the oval filter.

Tom
Old 12-15-2015, 09:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That was a bad year for distributor gears! I think we did an even dozen that year. AHHHhhhh, the gold old days.
Scoop looks good!
Yep EFI vs. CARB major difference.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

Hi DV,
Do you have a pic of what your mod would look like?

Thanks
vze2fw63@verizon.net
Old 12-15-2015, 08:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

If you lift the engine to much without lifting the rear extension housing the same amount, you will alter the drive shaft phasing to much and you'll chew out uni joints.
JD
Old 12-16-2015, 01:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

This picture is much like one of the people here had done except he had his mounded into the hood and it looked almost stock. He had a 429 and two fours with a high rise that had to clear.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 12-16-2015, 02:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Fella,
Tom's red scoop is about dead on, you OR your fiberglass guy is going to split the scoop dead center from front to less than a 1/4"
To the back. Use the DOOR CUT OUTS for filler, cut strips out to match your new configuration. Each strip will be cut in a pie shape
Making the hood as TALL & WIDE AS YOU NEED IT. Cut the BOTTOM OF the original scoop flush with the surface of the hood.
MARGLASS/ DURAGLASS the pieces in place, once you've got it the way you want them, reinforce it IN OUT with MATT.
Body work ' then prime etc.
DV