View Single Post
Old 12-30-2015, 09:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Cobra #273, 427 S/O, ERA GT-40 #2057, Excalibur Cobra.
Not Ranked     
Default VAYA CON DIOS, and DOS VEDANYA "JAY-BIRD"

A tragic loss, indeed. A good friend and a Brother.

One of my fondest memories of Jay was standing in the parking lot of some run down motel at one of the early DVSF London events with Jamo, Turk, Wade. Elder and a bunch of other guys - and, of course, our Fearless Leader Brent Mills. We had already consumed several bottles of Turkish Raki and no pain was being felt by any of the participants. We had been telling "War Stories" for several hours. (Most of which "Pookie" had clandestinely memorialized on magnetic medium).

Side bar here: Jay was one of the few - along with yours truly who actually LIKED RAKI. Jay and I had experience with that crap in Baghdad and Riyadh, and I first tasted it in Korea in 1952.

Just as the Eastern sky was beginning to light up Brent - who had been hanging in like a Champ- listing about 30 degrees to starboard - "demanded" that Jay pass him the Raki "one more time". Jay politely declined because two guys were already standing VERY close to Brent who was really "glazed over". (I KNEW he was drunk because I could see TWO of him). When Jay took another swig from the bottle Brent shouted at him, "Give me that G.D. bottle you S.O.B. or you'll NEVER post on Club Cobra again". That came across as the funniest damn thing any of us had ever heard. Grown men were collapsing in tears from laughing. Someone asked how Brent was going to get home as we were all leaving the next day. Jay and I offered to "Wrap him on 'bubble wrap' and Fed-Ex him directly to the Betty Ford Clinic".

Jay was one of the funniest, most sincere, honorable and brightest guys I have EVER known. The world has lost a lot of its color and depth and meaning with Jay's leaving Its' getting hard to see the screen now - kinda blurred. Its just passed noon and I'm going to toast my friend with a large dose of "Bourbon and Creek Water" and remember good times.

You know - - Jay is Not Gone. He'll Never be "Gone". Sure - he's in a different, better place. He's looking down on us and wondering what the hell all the fuss is about. BUT, he's Not Gone. As long as we remember our friend - - as long as we smile when we recall his grace and humor and friendship he'll NEVER be Gone.

But wherever he is now - - -

** Let the track surface be smooth.
** Let the corners be tight.
** Let the car be quick.
** Let the beer be cold and the Raki warm.
** Let the sun be shining.
** And PLEASE - - Let his driving improve so he can finally quit lying about
how FAST he is.

Farewell my Friend, my Brother, and So Long - But Never - Never Good bye.

"Save me a seat Big Jay Bird".

BLACKJACK