Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2015, 12:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates Cobra, RFGT40
Not Ranked     

I stared at this post in total disbelief. I welled up and could hardly read it.
I agree with all the kind words stated here . He was a prince of a human.
Jay was my big brother in size. I was a year older. I heard a quote once and I think it is true of Jay.
If you were in jail a good friend would come bail you out. A really good friend would be sitting next to you saying "man, we really screwed up". That was Jay. He stuck by his friends and didn't mind telling them if he thought they were wrong. Many times I've bounced ideas or problems off him. He just had a way of keeping it straight and simple. I really liked that most about him.
I salute you as one of the best Rangers to wear the uniform. I will truly miss you. God's speed my friend.

Hersh
Old 12-27-2015, 02:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Werk77 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Very sad day. Jay, you will be missed. God bless you on your last journey.

Rest in peace.
DRB GT40 MK1 red #49- sold
FF5 Mk4 #7733 302/T5/IRS - dark blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #7812 427/TKO/IRS - Guardsman Blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #8414 501/TKO600/48IDA Ollie the Dragon #91 - sold
FF5 Daytona Coupe 347/TKO/IRS Homage CSX2299 Viking Blue - sold
SPF 2063
Old 12-27-2015, 05:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

RIP
Great words about a man I wished I had met.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL now SOLD
Send a message via AIM to jdean
Not Ranked     

Sad news for all who knew Jay. I spoke to him a few weeks ago and knew he was sick, but the news of his passing is still a shock. I'm sure Jay lived his life with no regrets. When not taking care of his mom, he was spending time around cars and people, and helping wounded/disabled veterans. Rest in peace my friend.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

God speed Jay.

I'm so sorry to hear of Jays passing.

Please let me share a few thoughts - stories - about Jay.

If ever the phrase "bigger than Texas" was meant for someone, I feel Jay well deserved it as he had a heart bigger than Texas.

Like many Jay became a friend of mine through this wonderful community of Cobra and car enthusiasts.

I too met Jay at the Run N Gun - so many years ago. Wayne T. had invited me over to have a drive. Jay joined us with George A. and a few others around the big blow up Halloween pumpkin and we were drinking shine from jam jars.

Being Australian - from down under - I quickly realized there was a plan to get me drunk on moonshine and Jay sided up and took my jar off me telling me "that stuff will kill you"

Little did anyone know, but Jay swapped my half full jar of shine with a full one of water with a nod. A few fellow moonshine drinkers are still talking about the Aussie who poured a pint of moonshine down and walked away. It was Jay just looking after a friend.

When my good friend Hershal and I arrived in Texas and called in see Jay the boys were too busy to talk as they were sitting around the table cards in hand. "Help yourself to a beer" Jay offered " I'll be finished here shortly as I'll nearly have all of their money"

Jays hospitality and car storage area was well frequented by all and Jay had time and advice for all.

Jay would not hear of Hershal and I staying in a motel and quickly volunteered his friend Robin's home to stay in. Jay drove us to Robins and picked us up each day. It was real Texas hospitality - hospitality that Jay was well known for.

In thinking about the times with Jay, one thing stood out and that was his compassion and caring for all of his military friends. He was concerned that one did not have a Cobra to drive when he returned home from service and was quick to come up with a plan.

Jay was great at extracting money out of those he thought could afford it and you were lucky to miss his dropping of a hammer at a charity car event - Jay I still treasure that signed Shelby photo you told me I was buying.

Jays visits to his favorite steak and ribs restaurant saw him buy lunch often for me with a " your in my town now Aussie put your money back in your pocket"

I was glad later to be able to return that hospitality Jay.

Like many, I knew Jay cared for his Mum and can recall the daily morning and afternoon visits he made to check on her when driving me about town.

It's been a while since I have been to Texas and I'm sorry that I was not able to catch Jay again.

To Jay and all of his many friends there in Texas and beyond, my thoughts are with you all and my condolences to Jays family and you all.

Please have a drink with Jay for me.

Bernie
jwoodard, Jamo, Ron61 and 4 others like this.
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 12-28-2015, 09:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #621, Keith Craft 408
Not Ranked     
Default Jay Nordstrom

The first time I met Jay was at RNG in St Louis, just like Dean, when I said I want to go faster, he said you first need to learn to drive. Later, Jays efforts to get the TCC involved with Operation Comfort back in 2008-2010 led to the all the Texas Cobra clubs and Lonestar Classics donating tens of thousands of dollars in Cobra build parts (including a LSC Cobra kit), shop equipment, tools etc. Jay also personally donated several cars to Operation Comfort which the soldiers worked on daily. I could never thank Jay enough for hooking us up with Janet and the wounded soldiers. We have many great memories and pictures of our trips to the Lonesome Dove Ranch, giving the soldiers rides and watching the smiles on all their faces and their childrens faces.
Thank You Jay Nordstrom and RIP my friend.
Below are 2 links to some pictures of our trips to visit the soldiers> Enjoy
Operation Comfort Slideshow by mtpockets56 | Photobucket
Operation Comfort 09 Slideshow by mtpockets56 | Photobucket
Old 12-28-2015, 10:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Truly a sad day indeed . RIP MY FRIEND.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpockets View Post
Later, Jays efforts to get the TCC involved with Operation Comfort back in 2008-2010 led to the all the Texas Cobra clubs and Lonestar Classics donating tens of thousands of dollars in Cobra build parts (including a LSC Cobra kit), shop equipment, tools etc.
Here is Jay standing on the ramp of Brian Alexander's trailer in 2009 at Operation Comfort just after having received an award presented by Gregg "What's His Name" Herdlitchka for his service and contribution to the OC project. It was a very poignant moment to hear Jay talk about his passion for the wounded soldiers.

Jay and I became acquainted during the time when Hurricane in Arlington, TX melted down and was ultimately revived by the folks at Bowie Manufacturing, solely due to Jay's efforts. He always made time to catch up and swap lies when we were together. He found me at the 2010 Texas Cobra meet where I had my head buried in Holley Dissection 101 and poked me in the side and said "You gonna work on that piece of $h!t or come have a drink?" The next morning my head hurt like hell and my car wouldn't run worth a damn. Guess that's what you'd call a Jay Nordstrom tune-up. I found him to be an amazing historian, a crafty businessman, a passionate Cobra-phile, an avid agitator but most of all an engaging friend to everyone he met. We'll miss you Jay, you won't be forgotten.

Jim

Old 12-29-2015, 04:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

For those that want to attend Jays Memorial Service this Saturday:

http://www.restlandfuneralhome.com/o...om/#!/Obituary

Clois Harlan

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"

Last edited by Clois Harlan; 12-29-2015 at 06:00 AM..
Old 12-29-2015, 05:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2009 Solbra
Not Ranked     

Rest in Peace Jay

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.
(No doubt, most will blame it on the donuts.)
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me
Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.
The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports; KC408w: 546HP/ 553TQ
Not Ranked     

Dearest Jay,
My confidant, counselor, and camrade, you fixed what was broken, you talked me down from the ledge, you propped me up, brought me back, and stirred me to action… I will be adrift without your presence.
j
BT SNAKE likes this.

Last edited by jshel1; 12-29-2015 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: new thread
Old 12-29-2015, 09:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Facotry Five Daytona Coupe 392 Ford Racing
Not Ranked     

What I'm going to miss most is the Bear Hugs, smiles and quick wit of..... My Friend

God Bless Jay

GYM

Last edited by Jim Jacobs; 12-29-2015 at 09:44 AM..
Old 12-29-2015, 09:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #888, Keith Craft 408
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshel1 View Post
Dearest Jay,
My confidant, counselor, and camrade, you fixed what was broken, you talked me down from the ledge, you propped me up, brought me back, and stirred me to action… I will be adrift without your presence.
j
John,

I'll be there....

Kevin.....
Old 12-29-2015, 09:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

We were all very sad to hear the news about Jay. What a huge loss to the Cobra community and all the people he has touched over the years.

We first met Jay when we were considering purchasing Hurricane Motorsports and met with him in Texas. He was a true champion of the brand and was incredibly dedicated to the company and its future. We got an education on Hurricane and all things Cobra that day and Jay was fantastic to work with. Once we had finished with all the details it was off to Jay's man/car cave to round out the afternoon. An amazing collection of cars and trophies really illustrates his true passion. Mix that with a little whiskey and some cards and you really get the feel of the place.

We went to Jay's favorite steak house that night and finished up a great day with a great guy. Jay was instrumental in the acquisition of Hurricane and we have been friends ever since.

Jay loved to hang with the boys and talk cars. The picture is from a Texas Cobra Meet and Jay is holding court on a topic unknown. Always welcome at the Hurricane trailer and always spicing up the conversation.

Jay had a huge heart and impacted so many lives. His work with Operation Comfort and Wounded Warriors is to be commended.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you my friend. We'll miss you.

Mike, Steve, Monty, Jason and the Hurricane Family
Attached Images

bwcobra15 and gthompson like this.

Last edited by HMS_Steve; 12-29-2015 at 09:57 PM..
Old 12-29-2015, 08:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 408 525HP/490TQ, Mass Flow EFI
Not Ranked     

Jay
The Statesman of the Cobra Club, a Master with the Cobras, an Elegance with the Mechanicals, and a Coach to all the Players. The best times I had was in your shop. Thanks for the time Jay. I will miss you.
Francis
Old 12-30-2015, 05:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF, Keith Craft 460
Not Ranked     

I sit here this morning trying to gather my thoughts on what to post about my friend. Nothing I can share will even begin to express what he meant to all of us.

Jay and I became friends when he was my customer at Texas Body Works 20 years ago. He sold me his second Cobra that he and Tom Meadows built in 1999. We have been close friends ever since the day we met.

A veterans' veteran, his work for men and women in uniform was a driving force in his life. His support for Wounded Warriors and Operation Comfort was legendary. Jay would do anything to help a soldier. He was awarded the Silver Star in Vietnam, but of course never spoke of it.

The only thing he loved more than soldiers was his mother Eva. Jay would go have breakfast with her everyday and visit with her for hours. I came by the shop one day and he was in a rare funky mood. He had sold "Baby" that morning. "Baby" was his mother's Cadillac he custom ordered for her years ago. She absolutely loved that car and she would talk to it as we rode around with her.

He could drive anything with wheels, campaigning Cobras all over the country. Jays days of being a Pro-Am driver were some of his happiest. He built more than twenty Cobras and sold hundreds. If you needed to know any information on a car anywhere he was the guy. All of us would marvel of how he knew the history of almost any Cobra in the country.

Jay was one of the founding members of the Texas Cobra Club. The club has grown into the second largest Cobra Club in the world behind Australia. We always debated how we were going to compete with a whole continent. He never wanted to be president of the club, even though we asked him every year. He would help anyone in the club at anytime, arranging everything from an emergency tow to driving instruction. We have some great memories of our annual spring meets in Austin driving at triple digits through the Hill Country.

The times spent with Jay and Dee I will cherish the rest of my days.

He was my brother, my mentor, and my friend.

I only wish I could have just one more bear hug.

Rest in peace my friend

Last edited by D Dubya; 12-30-2015 at 05:17 AM..
Old 12-30-2015, 06:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR track car, SL-C track car
Not Ranked     

Like many of you, I met Jay through the Texas Cobra Club. He was the kind of man who made friends easily and was always willing to share, whether it was a word of advice, some knowledge, a tall tale, a big hug or a beverage. Like others have said, he was committed to helping others, whether it was his mom, other veterans or his friends. Jay was a man who lived life fully and left a lasting legacy. He was a rare friend and I will miss him greatly. Rest in peace brother.

John
Old 12-30-2015, 08:30 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR DAYTONA COUPE 302 COBRA FE STOCK
Not Ranked     

Jay was always there when and where you needed a real friend. His energy stays on and his legacy will never die. We are all so fortunate to have been with him.

Larry
Old 12-30-2015, 09:03 AM
Shade Tree Mechanic
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: - Unique - 302 - 4 spd. -
Not Ranked     

I met Jay at one of the first Spring Flings, and we shared many laughs together during the evening gatherings at the hotel parking lot. I remember he and I were admiring a "real" competition Cobra in London and we overheard someone say, "they should fix the dents in the fenders".....Jay remarked, "every one of them dents is worth a thousand dollars"..in that slow Texas draw. Never will forget that day.
Thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. He's one guy that will be missed by many.
God speed my friend.
Jim

Last edited by Cobra20646; 12-30-2015 at 09:07 AM..
Old 12-30-2015, 09:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Cobra #273, 427 S/O, ERA GT-40 #2057, Excalibur Cobra.
Not Ranked     
Default VAYA CON DIOS, and DOS VEDANYA "JAY-BIRD"

A tragic loss, indeed. A good friend and a Brother.

One of my fondest memories of Jay was standing in the parking lot of some run down motel at one of the early DVSF London events with Jamo, Turk, Wade. Elder and a bunch of other guys - and, of course, our Fearless Leader Brent Mills. We had already consumed several bottles of Turkish Raki and no pain was being felt by any of the participants. We had been telling "War Stories" for several hours. (Most of which "Pookie" had clandestinely memorialized on magnetic medium).

Side bar here: Jay was one of the few - along with yours truly who actually LIKED RAKI. Jay and I had experience with that crap in Baghdad and Riyadh, and I first tasted it in Korea in 1952.

Just as the Eastern sky was beginning to light up Brent - who had been hanging in like a Champ- listing about 30 degrees to starboard - "demanded" that Jay pass him the Raki "one more time". Jay politely declined because two guys were already standing VERY close to Brent who was really "glazed over". (I KNEW he was drunk because I could see TWO of him). When Jay took another swig from the bottle Brent shouted at him, "Give me that G.D. bottle you S.O.B. or you'll NEVER post on Club Cobra again". That came across as the funniest damn thing any of us had ever heard. Grown men were collapsing in tears from laughing. Someone asked how Brent was going to get home as we were all leaving the next day. Jay and I offered to "Wrap him on 'bubble wrap' and Fed-Ex him directly to the Betty Ford Clinic".

Jay was one of the funniest, most sincere, honorable and brightest guys I have EVER known. The world has lost a lot of its color and depth and meaning with Jay's leaving Its' getting hard to see the screen now - kinda blurred. Its just passed noon and I'm going to toast my friend with a large dose of "Bourbon and Creek Water" and remember good times.

You know - - Jay is Not Gone. He'll Never be "Gone". Sure - he's in a different, better place. He's looking down on us and wondering what the hell all the fuss is about. BUT, he's Not Gone. As long as we remember our friend - - as long as we smile when we recall his grace and humor and friendship he'll NEVER be Gone.

But wherever he is now - - -

** Let the track surface be smooth.
** Let the corners be tight.
** Let the car be quick.
** Let the beer be cold and the Raki warm.
** Let the sun be shining.
** And PLEASE - - Let his driving improve so he can finally quit lying about
how FAST he is.

Farewell my Friend, my Brother, and So Long - But Never - Never Good bye.

"Save me a seat Big Jay Bird".

BLACKJACK