View Single Post
Old 02-04-2016, 12:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by allcarfan View Post
I had my MSD Blaster SS coil poop out on mine with 80 miles on it. As soon as I replaced the coil, the car ran fine again. I keep a spare coil in my trunk....just in case. I would be interested to see where your coil is mounted also. I have a thought that the coil may be exposed to excessive heat and may cause premature failure.
I also carry a spare coil, 6al box and dist. cap/rotor in the trunk. I had two MSD coils fail the first year on the road (one with only about 100 or so miles on it). Easy road-side fix, but shouldn't fail like that. I asked an MSD technician about heat - mine is bolted to the front of the head. He said it should handle the heat. Not convinced, I used some welder's blanket scraps I had laying around to isolate the coil from metal-to-metal contact. Cut a piece that is slightly larger than the size of the coil itself as a "heat shield" between the bracket and the head. Also, wrapped the coil with a narrow strip where the bracket used to contact it. Made it through this season without another failure (about 4,600 miles). Obviously, can't say heat was an issue, but reducing it a bit couldn't hurt.