Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2016, 11:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just send the box to msd...if there's nothing wrong they won't charge you...the problem probably not grounding, coil, etc.
Think about it, nothing moves in there sitting in the garage...not a grounding problem.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel 427 View Post
MSD SS Blaster and MSD distributor, not sure what part # is and a MSD 6al 6420 box thats mounted under the dash on passenger side . Looks like the fuse holders were spliced in. Now I'm beginning to doubt the fuses were for the MSD box. What the hell.... I'm getting flustered on this.

Thank you for ur help
So I wonder what the fuses were for?

What colour wires were the fuses spliced into?

Gold Certified Holden Technician
Old 02-04-2016, 11:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

As others have said, there are no fuses for the MSD box...or coil. If you can see the MSD box and try to crank the car and the LED light is firing, it is sending a signal to the coil. I think you said you are running now, so, now its almost impossible to figure out what is wrong. I always like to work my way backwards when checking ignition...check the plugs first, then the ol screwdriver trick on the plug wire, then coil, then MSD box.

I had my MSD Blaster SS coil poop out on mine with 80 miles on it. As soon as I replaced the coil, the car ran fine again. I keep a spare coil in my trunk....just in case. I would be interested to see where your coil is mounted also. I have a thought that the coil may be exposed to excessive heat and may cause premature failure.
GLS-BDR226 likes this.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by allcarfan View Post
I had my MSD Blaster SS coil poop out on mine with 80 miles on it. As soon as I replaced the coil, the car ran fine again. I keep a spare coil in my trunk....just in case. I would be interested to see where your coil is mounted also. I have a thought that the coil may be exposed to excessive heat and may cause premature failure.
I also carry a spare coil, 6al box and dist. cap/rotor in the trunk. I had two MSD coils fail the first year on the road (one with only about 100 or so miles on it). Easy road-side fix, but shouldn't fail like that. I asked an MSD technician about heat - mine is bolted to the front of the head. He said it should handle the heat. Not convinced, I used some welder's blanket scraps I had laying around to isolate the coil from metal-to-metal contact. Cut a piece that is slightly larger than the size of the coil itself as a "heat shield" between the bracket and the head. Also, wrapped the coil with a narrow strip where the bracket used to contact it. Made it through this season without another failure (about 4,600 miles). Obviously, can't say heat was an issue, but reducing it a bit couldn't hurt.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: