View Single Post
Old 07-26-2016, 02:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: All original, with Chevy engine since 1964
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisconsin_Snake View Post
Ok. I have been bending a set of bows for mine. I don't have any fancy pipe bending tools so I made a jig out of wood and have been bending the bows by hand till they have the right shape. (I work in IT and this is not my forte) but I have managed to reproduce one set. I still need to weld the arms on and place the pins in them.
Have you snapped any pics of yours along the way?

Here is the set I scratched up for mine, using 3/8" rod, and 3/8" ID, 1/2 OD tubing for all the slip-joints. It breaks down into 4 pieces that fit the trunk. I also hand-bent mine.

For the holes in the body that the rods fit in, I found these 1/2" diameter nickel Bass-guitar string ferrules on Ebay, that fit the 3/8" rod perfectly:

Best part about these ferrules is that it was only $14 bucks for 8 of them, as opposed to $11 each for the "correct" ones from Finishline...

I smeared some epoxy glue on the ferrules, and they pressed into the 1/2" holes in the body and doors with just a couple taps with a rubber hammer

Here it is with the top on:

I'm not even going to mess with the side curtains on mine, because my primary goal was just to get some shade from the brutal Arizona afternoon sun whenever I drive the car into the office; and to have it packed in the trunk on roadtrips, in case an unexpected rain pops up...

Last edited by moore_rb; 07-26-2016 at 02:52 PM..