Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 05-09-2016, 09:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, 95 EFI 5.0
Not Ranked     
Default I am looking into getting the CR Convertible Bows reproduced. Any interest?

I am looking into getting the CR Convertible Bows reproduced. Any interest?
I have a friend with a Excalibur who loaned me his set...

So first, are the CR Convertible Bows the same as the Excalibur?

If so, if I can find a place to make a copy(ies). who would be interested?
Old 05-10-2016, 02:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 427, 5.0/Supercharged
Not Ranked     
Default CR Convertable bows

I would be interested. Let me know.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: canadian classic roadsters
Not Ranked     

I would be interested as im putting the body back into production
Old 05-16-2016, 09:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory 5 mk4 445 FE
Not Ranked     

You may want to contact Whitby Motorcars
They have the machinery to reproduce the bows. At least for Factory 5 cars. Not sure how much difference they would be if any.
Stoneville,NC

My ex car. Sad to see it go.
http://www.ffcars.com/POM/nov2003pom.JPG
Old 05-18-2016, 07:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters Chevy 350
Not Ranked     

A local shop here just got in a Classic Roadsters Cobra complete with convertible top, bows, and side window frames. They will be working on the car for some time so I may be able to talk the owner into loaning out any pieces needed for reproduction.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: canadian classic roadsters
Not Ranked     

id be very interested in getting a copy of the bows and side windows
Old 05-19-2016, 06:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ok. I have been bending a set of bows for mine. I don't have any fancy pipe bending tools so I made a jig out of wood and have been bending the bows by hand till they have the right shape. (I work in IT and this is not my forte) but I have managed to reproduce one set. I still need to weld the arms on and place the pins in them.

So far I see interest from two people, and gn_n_60_shelby I know this would help you buy putting them back into production. (Something I would like to see happen). I will give you a call later today most likely.
I am going to see if I can find a shop around here that would reproduce them for a resonable cost.

I was hoping to get more interest as I am sure that would have been able to drive the price down. Who knows, maybe the price for 2 one-offs will still be pretty low. I'll look.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Excalibur, 302 EFI
Not Ranked     
Default Bows for Excalibur top

I would be interested if bows fit Excalibur. Let me know.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: All original, with Chevy engine since 1964
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisconsin_Snake View Post
Ok. I have been bending a set of bows for mine. I don't have any fancy pipe bending tools so I made a jig out of wood and have been bending the bows by hand till they have the right shape. (I work in IT and this is not my forte) but I have managed to reproduce one set. I still need to weld the arms on and place the pins in them.
Have you snapped any pics of yours along the way?

Here is the set I scratched up for mine, using 3/8" rod, and 3/8" ID, 1/2 OD tubing for all the slip-joints. It breaks down into 4 pieces that fit the trunk. I also hand-bent mine.

For the holes in the body that the rods fit in, I found these 1/2" diameter nickel Bass-guitar string ferrules on Ebay, that fit the 3/8" rod perfectly:

Best part about these ferrules is that it was only $14 bucks for 8 of them, as opposed to $11 each for the "correct" ones from Finishline...

I smeared some epoxy glue on the ferrules, and they pressed into the 1/2" holes in the body and doors with just a couple taps with a rubber hammer

Here it is with the top on:

I'm not even going to mess with the side curtains on mine, because my primary goal was just to get some shade from the brutal Arizona afternoon sun whenever I drive the car into the office; and to have it packed in the trunk on roadtrips, in case an unexpected rain pops up...

Last edited by moore_rb; 07-26-2016 at 02:52 PM..
Old 07-28-2016, 10:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

tradingup, The bows I copied are from a Excalibur. It's the side curtains that I am struggling with because: 1) the bend is much more tight, 2) I've developed tendonitis in my arm, and 3) I am using 1/2" outer diameter tubing so it's mouch more of a pain in the butt to bend.
Note that the bows from Excalibur are 1/2".
Old 08-26-2016, 01:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Excalibur, 302 EFI
Not Ranked     
Default Bows

Snake, I would be interested in the Excal bows if you know a way to get them made. PM me regarding $ and logistics.

Jim
Old 08-30-2016, 06:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sorry for the hiatus...
The tendonitis in my arm has caused me to put this on the back burner and I refocused on getting my car built, avoiding doing things to agreivate my arm too much.

Anyways I got a new tubing bender and have yet to attempt bending the frames for the side curtins again. If that works well I will see about reproducing another set of bows.
Expect a update in about 2 weeks.

Last edited by Wisconsin_Snake; 08-30-2016 at 07:10 AM..
Old 08-30-2016, 01:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If you want shade, I made a bemini top for my Backdraft using the back frame for the soft top and bows I bought from ERA, you need side clips also to clip the front bows to. You also need a groved top rail on the window with a open piece in the middle of the frame, about 1.5 inches long,to put the pins in that are on the front bows that hold it down on the frame. With a little modification using 2 1"aluminum strips bent in a bow across the top from driver to passenger side it works great. No flap, It can handle speeds up to 80mph.