View Single Post
Old 09-08-2016, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #272, 351W
Not Ranked     

I was looking seriously at a older EM (Not sure the generation, but had to be early and with a rectangular frame) with a 302 and 8.8" rear end that was on consignment. Finally drove it (with no brakes on that day) and there was just too much wrong with it (beside the brakes). Body and paint were fantastic, but interior was worn out (accentuated by the fact it was tan) and all the chrome bits were pitted and needed replaced, noisy front end, tired motor, etc, etc. etc. If I would have had a shop (I live in a condo now), I might would have pulled the trigger and just fixed everything up for a year or so. Problem is, I would have certainly spent over the $12K extra that I ended up scraping together and putting into my Backdraft (w/a 351W) that I eventually bought. Very different cars yes, but I had to think about value, resale and lack of my own repair facility. The EM would never be worth close to what I would have had to put into it, and even for an older Backdraft, I've had very few issues, some minor maintenance stuff like steering boots & fluid flushes, but nothing major and it pulls hard! Also, I'm 5'8" on a good day, and even I had trouble getting in and out of the EM (90"WB). The extra 2" may not be original spec, but its almost necessary. Not trying to flame EM or their owners, I love the EM's, just relaying my own buying experience and choice. I honestly think they are one of the most authentic looking replicas out there. The company has been around forever (although new owner now), and with the new 4" SS tubular chassis, they've made a major improvement. I also believe they have even made a 3" stretch since the one I looked at. Just weigh all of the options carefully and pick which is right for you and your situation.