CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbgray1 View Post
RedHawk,

Whoa.....Whoa.... Whoa....!

Just for the sake of confirmation based on your troubles, I spent the evening tonight bolting up my raw front suspension to confirm before and after measurements of the OEM A-Arms and the Heidts A-Arms.

Here's what I found:

The lower side to side ball joint Joint dimensions with factory A-Arms is 47-7/16 from side to side with the arms just below level by about a quarter inch, enough to measure from grease fitting to grease fitting(I have photos).

With the Heidts lower Arms installed (keep in mind, I'm staying with lower strut rods from the Pinto Suspension), the side to side ball joint measurement is 46-5/8! Almost one inch narrower than factory OEM. Just for kicks, I bolted on upper OEM and Heidts upper A-Arms and they look OK for inclination angles for Caster and Camber, well within adjustable range (I have an inclination level that I can rough in positive or negative angles from the spindle and ball joint angles).

Problem is the shortened lower ball joint dimension and ALSO the fact that the lower Heidts tubular A-Arms interfere with the spring tower upright on the front of the car due to the "sweep" of the tubes not being as drastic as the factory curve. This would cause me to "bend" the angled shock tower steel slightly to provide for clearance of the new lower Heidt's tubular A-Arms through their travel. Both not good.

I'm going to be on the phone with Heidt's first thing tomorrow morning to determine if their A-Arms are intended to be geometrically the same as Mustang II parts or if they are engineered to work with their suspension components, period.

This test does not make me very happy as I didn't need this hassle. Oh well, it's been said that the build, or rebuild in my case both ways, is as much fun as driving it. At this point in time, I don't agree.

At least I didn't paint the parts yet....Ooops, sorry for that, it wasn't meant negative.
First of all big Thanks to you and everryone else with the advice. I am a commercial contractor by trade and build buildings. I feel like your speaking chineese when reffering to suspension though. I think I just opened up a can of worms, but followed your advise and I think I got it dialed in with no pull, a little toe in and straight. Atleast long enough to get through the weekend for an alignment scheduled Monday morning with another reputable classic car shop. Ugh!!

One thing I can happily say is the shocks and spring setup are simply incredible. No more nightmares at the dentist to replace disloged fillings. I can hit bumps, cracks, small woodland creatures, mariachi bands, barn swallows, neighborhood solictors, Kardashian family members whatever with no issues what so ever. WOW!

Last edited by RedHawk; 09-08-2016 at 09:27 PM..