CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA, SBF
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
Glen,

I was not quite sure what tail housing to specify, so I described my project to Dan and he has a lot of experience building top loaders for race applications, and was also familiar with Superformance cobras. He suggested using the tail housing that is on this transmission. It is a 17" tail housing for a 28 spline application. What length tail housing do you have and what is the length of your driveshaft? From what I can see the extra length (as opposed to a 14" or 15 1/2" tail housing) is at the end of the tail and should not greatly effect shifter location.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. What reared ratio are you running and are you using a close ratio or wide ratio top loader?

Jim
Hi Jim,

My Toploader has a 14" tail housing. I can then have a longer tailshaft which means that alignment of the geabox and diff. is not as critical.

My Toploader is a WR and my rear end ratio is a 2.92:1 I haven't worked it out, but my first gear ratio will possibly be similar to your CR with lower diff ratio. Hey, it's a very light car and it can easily handle it, right?

Cheers,
Glen