Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree323Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
Old 01-05-2017, 05:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Wait till you see the in car race videos, you will be grabbing the sledge hammer to bust open that piggy bank

There is nothing like vintage racing. It is thrilling going around a track in direct competition with others and pushing your limits. In addition, for the most part you could not ask for a better group of people to be hanging with. One minute you are chasing them down on the track, the next you are in the paddock helping them fix their car so that you can get out on the track again competing with them. Later that afternoon/night you are having a beer with them and laughing about the days events.
Bill D and peterpjb like this.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA with a 347 cu in engine
Not Ranked     

It truly sounds amazing. I noticed there is an event at VIR which is relatively close to where I live. I am going to do my best to make it out to see the cars in person. It is great to see that Ross's creation will be able to race with the originals. I had the privilege of meeting Ross years ago, when he unveiled his first car at The Carlisle show in Pennsylvania. He was a wealth of knowledge, and took a lot of time to show me all the details of his amazing car. Best of luck with the build. Will be following closely.
Riverside racer likes this.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Transmission is here!

UPS just delivered my new close ratio top loader from Dan Williams Toploaders (2.32, 1.69, 1.29, 1.0). Brought it inside to sit in the den until the weather breaks. The barn is a little leaky and I do not want to let the transmission get rusty during the thaws. If anyone is wondering, 1795 is the year that my house was built and the barn is about that old too! Everybody had taken most of the good monikers and I was getting frustrated with having to think up new ones, so I settled on 1795.

I will keep things updated as parts come in, probably should have waited a little before starting this thread, because there will not be a lot to post for a while until the roller gets here. I will be purchasing a race seat, fuel cell, fire system, fuel pump, tires, etc. along the way so that once the body is here I can go to town.

Dan does nice work and is a fund of knowledge. Just remember, if you call him to have a nice comfortable seat because you will be on the phone for a while; he does like to talk. A really friendly guy.

Jim

1985 CCX and LoBelly like this.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by byronpete21 View Post
It truly sounds amazing. I noticed there is an event at VIR which is relatively close to where I live. I am going to do my best to make it out to see the cars in person. It is great to see that Ross's creation will be able to race with the originals. I had the privilege of meeting Ross years ago, when he unveiled his first car at The Carlisle show in Pennsylvania. He was a wealth of knowledge, and took a lot of time to show me all the details of his amazing car. Best of luck with the build. Will be following closely.
I was looking at competing at that event, but am not sure if I will be able to make it, as I probably will have already run 4 race weekends prior to that and I have promised my wife (pit crew chief) that we would take a trip this fall to Italy. Would be nice to see you if I can make it.

Watkins Glen is not that far away, maybe you can make a trip up there for the US Vintage Grand Prix. It is a huge event and there is a lot going on in the area and lots of wineries nearby for wine tastings.

Jim

Last edited by 1795; 01-06-2017 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: mistake
Old 01-06-2017, 03:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA with a 347 cu in engine
Not Ranked     

I will look into the Watkins Glen race. Congrats on getting your transmission. Reminds me of an old Johnny Cash song about building it One Piece at Time. I am pretty sure it will cost a bit more than a dime though. Stupid inflation.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
UPS just delivered my new close ratio top loader from Dan Williams Toploaders (2.32, 1.69, 1.29, 1.0). Brought it inside to sit in the den until the weather breaks. The barn is a little leaky and I do not want to let the transmission get rusty during the thaws. If anyone is wondering, 1795 is the year that my house was built and the barn is about that old too! Everybody had taken most of the good monikers and I was getting frustrated with having to think up new ones, so I settled on 1795.

I will keep things updated as parts come in, probably should have waited a little before starting this thread, because there will not be a lot to post for a while until the roller gets here. I will be purchasing a race seat, fuel cell, fire system, fuel pump, tires, etc. along the way so that once the body is here I can go to town.

Dan does nice work and is a fund of knowledge. Just remember, if you call him to have a nice comfortable seat because you will be on the phone for a while; he does like to talk. A really friendly guy.

Jim
Great choice of transmission Jim (I'm using one in a 289 as well). What tailhousing did you specify?
There are a lot of us here who look forward to build threads like this! Looking forward to the rest of the story as it unfolds.

Cheers,
Glen
Old 01-08-2017, 04:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR chassis and suspension, Mr. Bruce 289 FIA body
Not Ranked     

How did I ever miss this build thread? This is surely one I will be following. Can't wait for more pics of the progress.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bill,

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this build. Have thoroughly enjoyed following your build thread.

Jim
Bill D likes this.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
Great choice of transmission Jim (I'm using one in a 289 as well). What tailhousing did you specify?
There are a lot of us here who look forward to build threads like this! Looking forward to the rest of the story as it unfolds.

Cheers,
Glen
Glen,

I was not quite sure what tail housing to specify, so I described my project to Dan and he has a lot of experience building top loaders for race applications, and was also familiar with Superformance cobras. He suggested using the tail housing that is on this transmission. It is a 17" tail housing for a 28 spline application. What length tail housing do you have and what is the length of your driveshaft? From what I can see the extra length (as opposed to a 14" or 15 1/2" tail housing) is at the end of the tail and should not greatly effect shifter location.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. What reared ratio are you running and are you using a close ratio or wide ratio top loader?

Jim

1985 CCX likes this.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR chassis and suspension, Mr. Bruce 289 FIA body
Not Ranked     

Does this build use original style 6 pin wheels?
Old 01-08-2017, 07:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bill,

Yes, we will be using the original style 6 pin drive wheels. The wheels will be wider than the originals, at 8 1/2" instead of 7 1/2", as the original size wheels are very difficult to find and the vintage group, SVRA, has recognized that and will allow for 8 1/2" wheels.

Trying to keep as period correct as possible, but will be updating some features such as a more substantial roll cage and a fire system.

Jim
Old 01-22-2017, 09:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I can use Webers, but if I did I would have to run in A Production against big blocks. Therefore, I will be running a Holley double pumper instead so that I am competing against small blocks in B Production. I can use aftermarket heads, as long as they are iron. I will be using Dart Iron Eagle heads.

are you allowed to use roller rockers? and will you go with a k-code hipo block?
Old 01-22-2017, 10:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Roller rockers are allowed and I will be using them. Could not find a K-code block and am using a block with casting number C5AE-6015E for the build with extra supports to the main caps to strengthen it. It is bored .030 over, they allow up to .047 over bore.

Should have pictures of the engine build soon to post and will provide more particulars about the build at that time. The engine has been cleaned and machined and is ready for construction as parts arrive. Out of town right now and when I get back late next week the brakes and the differential will be home and I will post pictures of them.
peterpjb likes this.

Last edited by 1795; 01-22-2017 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: further information
Old 01-25-2017, 06:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Girling Brakes

The Girling brakes from B&G development arrived! Get ready to be jealous , they are very high quality.

Rotors:

How many of you have personalized rotors?

Calipers:

Pads:

Can't wait to have everything here so that I can get to work. The differential should be here Friday.

Jim
ALF, 1985 CCX, LMH and 3 others like this.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Those rotors are on my eventual buy list too! I'll be using the 3 piston calipers though.
They sure look sweet!
Larry
Old 01-26-2017, 03:11 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Very nice Jim!

I will be contacting you in a day with chassis info. Your chassis will coming direct to me with a GSM Flamingo sharing the container as Ross is bringing over one of his old race cars.
Morris and 1795 like this.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 01-26-2017, 03:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Glen,

I was not quite sure what tail housing to specify, so I described my project to Dan and he has a lot of experience building top loaders for race applications, and was also familiar with Superformance cobras. He suggested using the tail housing that is on this transmission. It is a 17" tail housing for a 28 spline application. What length tail housing do you have and what is the length of your driveshaft? From what I can see the extra length (as opposed to a 14" or 15 1/2" tail housing) is at the end of the tail and should not greatly effect shifter location.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. What reared ratio are you running and are you using a close ratio or wide ratio top loader?

Jim
Hi Jim,

My Toploader has a 14" tail housing. I can then have a longer tailshaft which means that alignment of the geabox and diff. is not as critical.

My Toploader is a WR and my rear end ratio is a 2.92:1 I haven't worked it out, but my first gear ratio will possibly be similar to your CR with lower diff ratio. Hey, it's a very light car and it can easily handle it, right?

Cheers,
Glen
Old 01-26-2017, 04:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Glen,

Yes, I will have a shorter driveshaft, but it will be manageable to install. In my humble opinion, having had a wide ratio top loader in my ERA, the wide ratio is much better for the street. You car must cruise nicely on the highway with that rear-end ratio; almost like an overdrive.

Given the power to weigh ratios that we run, any combination of transmission and rear end is possible.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 01-26-2017, 04:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
Very nice Jim!

I will be contacting you in a day with chassis info. Your chassis will coming direct to me with a GSM Flamingo sharing the container as Ross is bringing over one of his old race cars.
Rick,

Thanks! Looking forward to hearing that information. That means that I have to start clearing room in the workshop
Old 01-26-2017, 01:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
.....In my humble opinion, having had a wide ratio top loader in my ERA, the wide ratio is much better for the street. You car must cruise nicely on the highway with that rear-end ratio; almost like an overdrive.

Given the power to weigh ratios that we run, any combination of transmission and rear end is possible.

Cheers,

Jim
Totally agree....however most think I'm crazy running a 2.92 diff ratio

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: