View Single Post
Old 02-15-2017, 03:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham
Not Ranked     

First I set ride height on the front and rear. Just under 6” at the rear, and 5” at the front. Others may want theirs lower. This is easily done by adjusting the Penske coilover shocks. Of note, to get the rear below 6”, the spring ends up loose at full droop (when jacked in the air). But when the weight of the car is on the suspension, the spring is under compression. Apparently this is common with some coilovers.

Although I have a spanner wrench for adjusting coil-overs, actually don’t need one on the Kirkham. If I wanted to make the ride height much higher, then I would.

With a 4 wheel independent suspension, the next thing is to find the long axis of the car/frame. I am not entirely sure how to do this on a car with an irregular unibody, like a Pantera, but with an original-style framed Cobra, the main tubes are a good point of reference. The frame is really nice and square (parallel main tubes) on a kirkham. I used a level to measure a fixed distance (21 inches for me) perpendicular to the main tubes on each side, and put marks on the floor so I could draw a line that represented the long axis of the frame but alongside the body. Shown in this image by the green tape marks on the floor.
Attached Images