Old 03-14-2017, 08:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Neutral     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super.Snake View Post
Hi everyone.

I've always loved cars, particularly Cobras. Have been thinking about getting my first classic car but have no 'mechanical talent'. So, thinking about a Cobra reproduction. Can they be money pits, like classic cars?

I'm reading through posts here, about different manufacturers. But, assuming that I find a good pre-owned one, get it checked out, and purchase it, how do I handle maintenance/repairs? Are they generally reliable? If something breaks, who do I go to? My regular mechanic (he's good but has probably never touched one of these), or a hot rod shop? Will I be tinkering all the time to keep it running?

Classic cars can be money pits. Can the same be said about Cobra reproductions? Just asking, in general terms.

BTW, I'm leaning towards a pre-owned Superformance, will be a weekend driver. I'm in the Philly area.

Thanks!
If you're not mechanically inclined, and therefore highly likely to need someone to work on the car for you, that might be the first place to start. If you trust your regular mechanic it might be worth asking the question (you never know what their hobbies are or how they spend their time away from work), otherwise I'd check with hot rod shops. Ideally you'll find someone with Cobra experience, but these things are generally pretty simple both mechanically and electrically, and most 'old school' mechanics worth their salt should be able to figure their way around one pretty quickly.

Once you've got someone to work on the car it would be a good idea (if possible) to have them assist with the inspection of your intended purchase.

Q1) Are they generally reliable?
A1) Generally, yes, but reliable in relationship to a 1960s or 1970s car - it's probably the rare Cobra that comes anywhere close to modern cars with EFI and a computer for everything.

Q2) If something breaks, who do I go to? My regular mechanic (he's good but has probably never touched one of these), or a hot rod shop?
A2) See my initial paragraph.

Q3) Will I be tinkering all the time to keep it running?
A3) A Cobra with a carbureted, solid lifter cam will need more tinkering than one with a fuel-injected, hydraulic lifter cam. Having said that, the quality of the build and the maintenance and care by the previous owner(s) will have a significant impact on how good a car you're getting, and the amount of sorting / tinkering required - especially initially. That s/b motivation for a thorough inspection before purchase.

Q4) Classic cars can be money pits. Can the same be said about Cobra reproductions?
A4) Absolutely - but they don't have to be. See responses above, but also consider whether you're going to take the car and keep it 'as is' ($), or whether this will be an ongoing project with a stream of regular upgrades ($$$$).

FWIW, when I bought my car in 2014 it was in pretty good shape cosmetically, but needed a number of upgrades. The price reflected that, and I was fortunate in that I was able to do most of the work myself - from both a skills and time perspective. Had I been in your shoes I would not have purchased that car, as paying someone to do all that work would have made it a very expensive project.