Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2017, 07:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Pre-owned Cobra for someone with no mechanical experience?

Hi everyone.

I've always loved cars, particularly Cobras. Have been thinking about getting my first classic car but have no 'mechanical talent'. So, thinking about a Cobra reproduction. Can they be money pits, like classic cars?

I'm reading through posts here, about different manufacturers. But, assuming that I find a good pre-owned one, get it checked out, and purchase it, how do I handle maintenance/repairs? Are they generally reliable? If something breaks, who do I go to? My regular mechanic (he's good but has probably never touched one of these), or a hot rod shop? Will I be tinkering all the time to keep it running?

Classic cars can be money pits. Can the same be said about Cobra reproductions? Just asking, in general terms.

BTW, I'm leaning towards a pre-owned Superformance, will be a weekend driver. I'm in the Philly area.

Thanks!
jacobsed likes this.

Last edited by Super.Snake; 03-14-2017 at 07:11 AM..
Old 03-14-2017, 07:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR with Smeding 418 cid engine
Not Ranked     

Super Snake, please check out my Backdraft in the For Sale section. Fully sorted and ready to enjoy (once you dig out from the snow)
Old 03-14-2017, 08:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

There is nothing wrong with having limited/no mechanical skills. However, you better have your other question firmly answered....if you can't do the mechanical who will do this for you? If you already don't have a mechanic who is well versed in setting up Ford engines with carburetors and other old stuff you better forget it. Yes, they do need routine maintenance and no - you can't take your Cobra to the dealership for service.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:15 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

If there isn't somebody within three or four houses of you that is an "old school" shade-tree mechanic, or if you don't have an old-time service station, with a mechanic who is older than 60, within walking distance of your house, I say forget it. These cars, especially carbureted FEs, can sprout leaks and break down just sitting in the garage unattended.
120mm likes this.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66gtk View Post
There is nothing wrong with having limited/no mechanical skills. However, you better have your other question firmly answered....if you can't do the mechanical who will do this for you? If you already don't have a mechanic who is well versed in setting up Ford engines with carburetors and other old stuff you better forget it. Yes, they do need routine maintenance and no - you can't take your Cobra to the dealership for service.
Thanks. Yes, that's what I'm asking. What type of mechanic do I need? I don't think my regular guy could do it, although he's good. These cars are very unique. I need to mke sure that I can get the proper support.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR with Smeding 418 cid engine
Not Ranked     

I, too, am not a mechanic, but found a local Speed Shop that I trust 100% in taking care of the mechanicals. @66gtk, fully agree - stay far away from the Ford dealership!
Old 03-14-2017, 08:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
If there isn't somebody within three or four houses of you that is an "old school" shade-tree mechanic, or if you don't have an old-time service station, with a mechanic who is older than 60, within walking distance of your house, I say forget it. These cars, especially carbureted FEs, can sprout leaks and break down just sitting in the garage unattended.

I do have an 'old school' 'mechanic, been around forever and very good. He's right down the road. If I were to bring an old Mustang to him, I'm confident that he could fix it. But, these types of cars?
Old 03-14-2017, 08:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Neutral     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super.Snake View Post
Hi everyone.

I've always loved cars, particularly Cobras. Have been thinking about getting my first classic car but have no 'mechanical talent'. So, thinking about a Cobra reproduction. Can they be money pits, like classic cars?

I'm reading through posts here, about different manufacturers. But, assuming that I find a good pre-owned one, get it checked out, and purchase it, how do I handle maintenance/repairs? Are they generally reliable? If something breaks, who do I go to? My regular mechanic (he's good but has probably never touched one of these), or a hot rod shop? Will I be tinkering all the time to keep it running?

Classic cars can be money pits. Can the same be said about Cobra reproductions? Just asking, in general terms.

BTW, I'm leaning towards a pre-owned Superformance, will be a weekend driver. I'm in the Philly area.

Thanks!
If you're not mechanically inclined, and therefore highly likely to need someone to work on the car for you, that might be the first place to start. If you trust your regular mechanic it might be worth asking the question (you never know what their hobbies are or how they spend their time away from work), otherwise I'd check with hot rod shops. Ideally you'll find someone with Cobra experience, but these things are generally pretty simple both mechanically and electrically, and most 'old school' mechanics worth their salt should be able to figure their way around one pretty quickly.

Once you've got someone to work on the car it would be a good idea (if possible) to have them assist with the inspection of your intended purchase.

Q1) Are they generally reliable?
A1) Generally, yes, but reliable in relationship to a 1960s or 1970s car - it's probably the rare Cobra that comes anywhere close to modern cars with EFI and a computer for everything.

Q2) If something breaks, who do I go to? My regular mechanic (he's good but has probably never touched one of these), or a hot rod shop?
A2) See my initial paragraph.

Q3) Will I be tinkering all the time to keep it running?
A3) A Cobra with a carbureted, solid lifter cam will need more tinkering than one with a fuel-injected, hydraulic lifter cam. Having said that, the quality of the build and the maintenance and care by the previous owner(s) will have a significant impact on how good a car you're getting, and the amount of sorting / tinkering required - especially initially. That s/b motivation for a thorough inspection before purchase.

Q4) Classic cars can be money pits. Can the same be said about Cobra reproductions?
A4) Absolutely - but they don't have to be. See responses above, but also consider whether you're going to take the car and keep it 'as is' ($), or whether this will be an ongoing project with a stream of regular upgrades ($$$$).

FWIW, when I bought my car in 2014 it was in pretty good shape cosmetically, but needed a number of upgrades. The price reflected that, and I was fortunate in that I was able to do most of the work myself - from both a skills and time perspective. Had I been in your shoes I would not have purchased that car, as paying someone to do all that work would have made it a very expensive project.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1984 Aurora Cobra Mark II #153
Not Ranked     

Since you are in the Philly area, I recommend you hang out at the Simone Museum and find out what mechanics they use. It is in Philly and they have a wonderful collection of old cars they keep in working order. Get to know the people there and you will find the help you need.

Michael
Old 03-14-2017, 08:46 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

These cars are basically from the "age of iron" and are fairly simple if carbureted. Any decent hot rod/specialty garage can handle what you will need done.

We have some resale Superformance cars available right now https://www.facebook.com/TimeMachine...47485988648969

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 03-14-2017, 09:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super.Snake View Post
I do have an 'old school' 'mechanic, been around forever and very good. He's right down the road. If I were to bring an old Mustang to him, I'm confident that he could fix it. But, these types of cars?
Cobras are as simple or simpler than an old Mustang - and the bodies will never rust! He can most likely do the work, though the consequences of errors may be greater - depending upon how hard you're pushing it. Regardless, if he's been around forever, very good and someone you trust those are very good starting places.

If it was me I'd wander down the road and have a chat with him, tell him what I was thinking of buying and gauge his reaction. He may well relish the opportunity!
Old 03-14-2017, 09:12 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
Cobras are as simple or simpler than an old Mustang - and the bodies will never rust! He can most likely do the work, though the consequences of errors may be greater - depending upon how hard you're pushing it. Regardless, if he's been around forever, very good and someone you trust those are very good starting places.
I agree. See, a lot of us here learned to fix cars thirty or forty years ago because, if we didn't fix them ourselves, then we walked.
TN Shelby Cobra and 120mm like this.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If you select a Cobra with an FE engine I would add that you should insist on using a mechanic with experience working on FE engines. If you get a car with a small block Ford engine, your net for finding qualified mechanics gets a bit larger. These cars are no more complicated than other old cars like a 60s Mustang. Your enjoyment with a Cobra as a non-tinkerer will be best served with a properly sorted car for your initial purchase. These can prove to be harder to find than most may think. For example, a 15 year old Cobra with only 2,000 miles will NOT be a properly sorted car if you are buying it without a record of recent maintenance. Most of these cars do more "sitting" than driving. The longer they "sit", the less sorted they will be for you and the more you may end up paying your mechanic to figure out how to get it reliable for the road.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:36 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

I would suggest that the "FE" is only problematic if you need to go internal. I have seen lots of issues with people putting the rocker pedestals in and not knowing that one bolt is undercut as the oil feed is via the space created there.

As to tuning, timing, etc. the FE is really no different than any other late 50's engine and in fact is simpler than say a MEL 430 as there is no combination oil pump/vacuum pump, etc. that the MEL series had.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 03-14-2017, 09:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shamrock
Not Ranked     

If you are concerned about reliability steer away from highly modified motors - in general the closer to standard the motor the more reliable it is. A standard 300HP motor will stress other parts of the car less and need less maintenance than a highly tuned 600 HP one of same make and type. And 300Hp is still fun in these cars.

Last edited by Snake2998; 03-14-2017 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: Added to comment
Old 03-14-2017, 10:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post

If it was me I'd wander down the road and have a chat with him, tell him what I was thinking of buying and gauge his reaction. He may well relish the opportunity!
Thanks everyone. He would relish the opportunity. I just wasn't sure if I'd need someone more specialized.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratchbuild, 289 FIA Replica
Not Ranked     

Mechanical "skill" is not a "talent".

There is no reason you cannot learn some basics.

There is also nothing intrinsically complex about most of these cars.

The newest car I currently own is a 1967 Mustang. I don't have a problem driving it every day. It's simple and fairly reliable, esp. when I replace all the rubber bits that have dry rotted over the years.

Once a car is sorted out, classic or kit, they shouldn't be "money pits" unless you let them sit for long periods of time, or abuse them.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft SBF-302
Not Ranked     

For the most part 'money pit' just won't happen.

I believe you need to be mechanically curious. Many things can need tweaking or periodic maintenance. With these cars it's often easier to DIY

The challenge can be figuring out where some parts are sourced from when replacement is warranted.

To me, fiddling with the Cobra is part of the enjoyment.
Rumbling in idle at stoplights is another.
120mm likes this.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

One of the attributes of a Cobra is that they are "tinkerer's delight". There will always be something loose or in need of adjustment. As some say, even just sitting in your garage.

If you want something you can drive, park, drive, fill with gas, drive, have someone change the oil, drive, park, etc. then buy a new Mustang. If you want something you can sink untold amounts of money paying someone else to do services try a Ferrari. But if you don't want to work on your car as much as you drive it, don't buy a Cobra.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:50 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
If there isn't somebody within three or four houses of you that is an "old school" shade-tree mechanic, or if you don't have an old-time service station, with a mechanic who is older than 60, within walking distance of your house, I say forget it.
Holy $hit, I don't meet those requirements, I'd better sell my Cobra. All my neighbors drive Teslas.