View Single Post
Old 03-19-2017, 08:11 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve meltzer View Post
Patrick, thanx for the trouble you took to shoot the photo. Got the carb on, but the carb flooded, I think....no leaking anywhere, but couldn't get it started. I think I tried too many times and now the starter whirs but won't engage. I've done about 10 Holley's in the past, so I think I rebuilt it right, but there was just too much fuel to light. Again, floats set dry, that is to say, perfectly horizontal with the bowl inverted. s
OK, that's kind of interesting.... I actually set my floats without ever starting the engine. When you say the carb flooded, are you seeing gas pour out of the boosters? Usually the dry method sets the floats low, so when you crank it a little bit, and stop, you can see the level down below the sight hole. Then I just loosen the screw, adjust the nut counterclockwise, tighten the screw, put my thumb over the sight hole, crank, and recheck. After two or three adjustments, and cranking, it's done. It doesn't take a whole lot of cranking either. What do you mean the starter "whirs, but won't engage?"