View Single Post
Old 04-06-2017, 10:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     
Default Need help repairing accident damaged differential housing

So, I drove to Rosenberg last Thanksgiving to drive the replica back to Kansas, where I am now residing. I made it 17 miles before I was forced off the road, into a spin, and the resulting impact with a concrete culvert did significant damage to the drivers' side of the differential housing. The axle tube is bent and the axle is also bent, so there will need to be significant work done to make it possible to drive this replica again.

I am a teacher, so I do have time during the summer to come back to TX to get the car towed to a repair shop, the problem is that I do not know where to look for a good repair shop. Does anyone know where this sort of extreme damage can be repaired? There is a frame shop in Rosenberg that can fix the frame damage and make sure the frame is square and level, the problem is that the precision tools they use to check the frame need to be mounted to the rear axle. Obviously, with the axle housing damage and the axle, itself, being damaged that must be repaired before they can start squaring up and leveling the frame.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. I would not be surprised for the answer to be that the entire differential housing needs to be scrapped and to start over, but I still need a referral to a reliable shop that can do that sort of work. All this after I just spent a huge sum to have the Ford TractionLoc differential rebuilt....

...and also $3,000 to have the entire interior redone in black leather, so you can see why I am anxious to find a way to repair this vehicle rather than starting all over...and I still have not had time to get under the car and find out what other damage may have been done...it is obvious that a new set of sidepipes will be necessary!

Yes, I know the axle/housing parts and repairs will be expensive...I know that

Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!