17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2017, 10:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     
Default Need help repairing accident damaged differential housing

So, I drove to Rosenberg last Thanksgiving to drive the replica back to Kansas, where I am now residing. I made it 17 miles before I was forced off the road, into a spin, and the resulting impact with a concrete culvert did significant damage to the drivers' side of the differential housing. The axle tube is bent and the axle is also bent, so there will need to be significant work done to make it possible to drive this replica again.

I am a teacher, so I do have time during the summer to come back to TX to get the car towed to a repair shop, the problem is that I do not know where to look for a good repair shop. Does anyone know where this sort of extreme damage can be repaired? There is a frame shop in Rosenberg that can fix the frame damage and make sure the frame is square and level, the problem is that the precision tools they use to check the frame need to be mounted to the rear axle. Obviously, with the axle housing damage and the axle, itself, being damaged that must be repaired before they can start squaring up and leveling the frame.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. I would not be surprised for the answer to be that the entire differential housing needs to be scrapped and to start over, but I still need a referral to a reliable shop that can do that sort of work. All this after I just spent a huge sum to have the Ford TractionLoc differential rebuilt....

...and also $3,000 to have the entire interior redone in black leather, so you can see why I am anxious to find a way to repair this vehicle rather than starting all over...and I still have not had time to get under the car and find out what other damage may have been done...it is obvious that a new set of sidepipes will be necessary!

Yes, I know the axle/housing parts and repairs will be expensive...I know that

Dugly
cdnus likes this.

No names were changed to protect the innocent!
Old 04-06-2017, 10:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Any force enough to bend the axle no doubt transferred stresses internally so that even if damage is not apparent they are suspicious. Just replace it. It will be cheaper in the long run since the labor once you tear into it is "unknown and unknowable".
Old 04-06-2017, 11:30 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by YerDugliness View Post
Yes, I know the axle/housing parts and repairs will be expensive...I know that

Dugly
Aren't you insured for little mishaps like this?
Old 04-06-2017, 12:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

No...liability only. I drive the car SO little (I live 900 miles from where it is stored) and am so VERY careful when I drive it...that day it had been drizzling and I had put new MT/SR rear tires on it and headed for Austin, which is where my daughter lives. I passed a truck with a large box on it and ended up in what the police described as an unavoidable accident, Nobody was cited at the scene and I still have not been back to the town where the car is STILL stored in the garage of a home I own.
I will say this...when the car is drivable again (IF?), I will certainly insure it more fully and will NEVER AGAIN use State Farm for my auto insurance. I tried to get the SF claims agent to go after the party who turned right into the back fender of my replica (even though they had a left-turn signal on, to which there were witnesses) and they refused. They were more worried about State Farms' bottom line than the welfare and benefit of their customer. I told the agent "...thank you for your time and shame on you for not protecting your customers!" He was not amused, but at that point I did not care.

I figured it was an issue of replacement...so, now...are there any recommendations for a shop in the Houston area where I can have it towed so that the process can begin?

Dugly

Old 04-06-2017, 12:41 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I would haul it back home to Kansas first, and then have the repairs started by a garage that is close to you. Just rent one these from U-haul and get 'er back home. You'll feel better being able to monitor the repairs without having to drive to Texas just to check on the progress.

Old 04-06-2017, 01:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
No...liability only. I drive the car SO little (I live 900 miles from where it is stored) and am so VERY careful when I drive it...that day it had been drizzling and I had put new MT/SR rear tires on it and headed for Austin, which is where my daughter lives. I passed a truck with a large box on it and ended up in what the police described as an unavoidable accident, Nobody was cited at the scene and I still have not been back to the town where the car is STILL stored in the garage of a home I own.
I will say this...when the car is drivable again (IF?), I will certainly insure it more fully and will NEVER AGAIN use State Farm for my auto insurance. I tried to get the SF claims agent to go after the party who turned right into the back fender of my replica (even though they had a left-turn signal on, to which there were witnesses) and they refused. They were more worried about State Farms' bottom line than the welfare and benefit of their customer. I told the agent "...thank you for your time and shame on you for not protecting your customers!" He was not amused, but at that point I did not care.

I figured it was an issue of replacement...so, now...are there any recommendations for a shop in the Houston area where I can have it towed so that the process can begin?

Dugly
You're bad mouthing State Farm insurance because you chose to save a few bucks and not to properly insure your car? Basically, you gambled and lost.
Since you didn't have collision coverage on your car at the time of the accident, then you opted out of being able to have your insurance company represent you in case of an accident. If the company does not experience a covered loss (read that a monetary payout) then they cannot represent you in your claim against the other party. They have to have a dog in the fight. No company would help you out of this situation. You chose not to have the proper coverage on your vehicle. You gambled and lost. Your only recourse is civil or small claims court.
Don't blame the insurance company for your screw up. Accept responsibility and move on.
And, yes, my wife is a State Farm Agent and she hears this complaint weekly. Clients want to save a few bucks by reducing their insurance and then blame either the agent or the company when their decisions come back and bite them in the butt.
And, don't worry, since you reported the accident to your agent, they might just cancel you anyway.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Any force enough to bend the axle no doubt transferred stresses internally so that even if damage is not apparent they are suspicious. Just replace it. It will be cheaper in the long run since the labor once you tear into it is "unknown and unknowable".
I agree. Replace the housing and the axle that was impacted. Ford 9" rear axles are still widely available and affordable, unless you choose to go with an after-market unit.

I would find it an extremely low probability that your Trac-Loc, centre section and other axle were damaged, so they should be usable. Get the replacement housing and impact-side axle narrowed to match your current axle width and re-assemble.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
You're bad mouthing State Farm insurance because you chose to save a few bucks and not to properly insure your car? Basically, you gambled and lost.
Thanks for the lecture on insurance, but it was neither necessary (I even wrote State Farm and told them I did not expect them to repair my car because it was my choice to not elect collision or comprehensive), nor was it productive (believe me, I have kicked my own ass all the way back to Kansas because of my "false economy"). To be fair to State Farm, they have willingly paid the towing fee to get the car back to my house and they have paid my medical bills for the 9 staples it took to get my scalp to heal well. Having said that, it remains my assertion that since no citations were issued State Farm failed miserably to represent me by chosing to roll over rather than fighting for me, their paying client. They could well have made the other decision, specifically to say that the action of the driver of the other car to turn right when she was displaying the intent to make a left hand turn was the proximate cause of the accident and therefore fight for the other company to cover all damages to my car and other associated costs. So what if the issue ended up in court...I pay their premiums and expect them to represent ME in court if necessary, which they failed miserably to do. I still say shame on them!
They prioritized their own bottom line over the interests of their customer and yes, I am considering legal action. The sad state of affairs is that you are probably right, they have already screwed me once and despite the fact that no citations were issued to cause them to determine I was at fault they will probably screw me again by cancelling me...who in their right mind would believe that company deserves their further patronage (except perhaps someone whose wife works for the "offending party")?
I must praise my agent for her willingness to press the case with State Farm and also for her assistance with handling the PIP and roadside assistance claims.

Dugly

Old 04-06-2017, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
I agree. Replace the housing and the axle that was impacted. Ford 9" rear axles are still widely available and affordable, unless you choose to go with an after-market unit.

I would find it an extremely low probability that your Trac-Loc, centre section and other axle were damaged, so they should be usable. Get the replacement housing and impact-side axle narrowed to match your current axle width and re-assemble.
That is the course I shall pursue...there is a hot-rod shop about 30 miles from where I live now that I will approach regarding the project (although I would rather have the work done by a reputable shop in the Hoiston area, where the car is located and where I own a home in which I could stay while the work is being done). There is more to the job, though...the rear suspension is parallel 4-bar with coilovers, and the car has 4-wheel disc brakes, so there will be lots of brackets to fab and locate on the replacement housing.

...and before "someone" decides I need yet another lecture, I have already stated that I expect it to be expensive, so I am resolved to bearing the full financial burden...and thus endeth my rant!!

Dugly

Old 04-06-2017, 06:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thanks for the lecture on insurance, but it was neither necessary (I even wrote State Farm and told them I did not expect them to repair my car because it was my choice to not elect collision or comprehensive), nor was it productive (believe me, I have kicked my own ass all the way back to Kansas because of my "false economy"). To be fair to State Farm, they have willingly paid the towing fee to get the car back to my house and they have paid my medical bills for the 9 staples it took to get my scalp to heal well. Having said that, it remains my assertion that since no citations were issued State Farm failed miserably to represent me by chosing to roll over rather than fighting for me, their paying client. They could well have made the other decision, specifically to say that the action of the driver of the other car to turn right when she was displaying the intent to make a left hand turn was the proximate cause of the accident and therefore fight for the other company to cover all damages to my car and other associated costs. So what if the issue ended up in court...I pay their premiums and expect them to represent ME in court if necessary, which they failed miserably to do. I still say shame on them!
They prioritized their own bottom line over the interests of their customer and yes, I am considering legal action. The sad state of affairs is that you are probably right, they have already screwed me once and despite the fact that no citations were issued to cause them to determine I was at fault they will probably screw me again by cancelling me...who in their right mind would believe that company deserves their further patronage (except perhaps someone whose wife works for the "offending party")?
I must praise my agent for her willingness to press the case with State Farm and also for her assistance with handling the PIP and roadside assistance claims.

Dugly
You still don't get it. They didn't screw you, you screwed yourself. If you have no coverage (collision) they can't legally represent you as they have no loss. It doesn't matter whether the other car was at fault or not. YOU HAD NO COVERAGE! Has nothing to do with their bottom line. It's the law. If you had purchased collision coverage, then they would represent you in the claim. You didn't, SO THEY CANT!
Suck it up. Stop trying to blame others for your decision not to carry the proper insurance coverage. Like you said, State Farm paid where they should. You just feel that they should be responsible for your bad decisions.
Was it worth the money you saved on your insurance premiums?
Hope this is a lesson to us all. There are places to save money. Insurance isn't one of them.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I guess we will just have to disagree. I praised S.F. for doing what they did and have explained fully why I believe they stopped far short of what they should have done. Nothing either of us has to say will change the other's mind...AND, I might add, this thread was not authored to ask for insurance advice, it was authored to ask for advice regarding where I could take the car to have the differential repaired at my cost in the Houston area. Sounds to me like I have accepted the consequence of my decision, so if you do not have a suggestion where I could take the differential, please stop the fruitless and unwelcome thread drift.

So, Texas Cobra Club members, what say you? I could easily spend a month or 6 weeks in TX to get the job completed if there is someplace where the work can be completed professionally. Do you have any recommendations? Towing the car all the way back to SW Kansas to have the work done at a shop about which I know nothing except what I see in their TV ad seems rather extreme, but if there is no option in the Houston area that is what I will have to do.

Thanks in advance to all who may be willing to provide the advice for which I asked in this thread's original post.

Cheers!

Dugly

Old 04-06-2017, 07:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You may try Radical Roadsters in Tomball, TX. (49 mi north of Rosenberg)

They're a Backdraft dealer but also do other Cobras, bikes and fab work.
Radical Roadsters of Texas | Welcome
Old 04-06-2017, 07:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster, 408 LSX
Not Ranked     

I didn't see in this discussion where the car is located so I can't recommend a specific shop, but 4WD places do rearends all the time, and 8.8's are popular swaps into jeeps and some other rigs. The shouldn't have any trouble helping you out.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Since your pumpkin is probably fine the bare Moser 9" housing and axles wouldn't be too pricey. They can narrow it as well.

Moser Engineering - 9" Complete Built to Order Stamped Housing & Axle Package - Housing & Axle Packages
Old 04-06-2017, 08:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Edmonds View Post
I didn't see in this discussion where the car is located so I can't recommend a specific shop.
The car is currently located in Rosenberg, TX, which is about 25 miles southwest of Houston on US59. The differential is a Ford 9" and since I already have a recently rebuilt 3.73 geared Ford Tractionloc pumpkin, I am not interested in switching to the 8.8". Hope this helps!

BTW, all... my daughter lives in Austin, TX and so a shop located near the Austin-D/FW corridor would certainly be acceptable. IIRC Keith Craft had a shop north of D/FW, but I think I remember hearing he is now located elsewhere.

The Moser information is encouraging... their prices seem reasonable, too. I will contact them to inquire about sending my housing to them after the pumpkin is removed to have them match the dimensions, remove all the existing brackets and attach them to the new housing, and install new axle(s) as needed.

I have emailed Radical Roadsters in the past about a different issue and they did not respond. Since they are so close to the current location of the car, they would be my first choice if they are interested...but since they did not respond when I tried to contact them previously I just figured they were not interested, too busy, or otherwise engaged. I will try again...but I need somebody on whom I can rely and not answering an inquiry does not foster much confidence.

I welcome all suggestions...thanks to all so far and please let me know if you have additional suggestions!

Dugly

Old 04-06-2017, 10:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classics, red white stripes
Not Ranked     
Default Shops

Keith Craft's shop in Richardson wasn't really his. It was a partnership. Call it whatever you want.

The partnership/naming is gone, but the shop was there 5 years ago. They did excellent work. I don't know if they are still around anymore. I used to live in Houston, and I worked/commuted to Richardson.

At any rate, Houston to Dallas/Richardson is a long drive. If you were going that far, you should go all the way to Kansas.

I know Houston fairly well, and I still know several people there. But if my car were hurt like yours, I'd still tow it home to have it fixed.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:06 AM
Average Guy
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: red Shell Valley, white stripes
Not Ranked     

I would also encourage you to keep Moser in mind as a possibility. I have been to their impressive shop and have had a small amount of work done there. I was well-satisfied. I know it's not exactly close to where you are, but give 'em a call and see what they can do.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkooiman View Post
I know Houston fairly well, and I still know several people there. But if my car were hurt like yours, I'd still tow it home to have it fixed.
My issue with bringing it to KS is that I reside in a very remote area...the nearest WalMart is 90 miles away...McDonalds is closer, only 35 miles. The nearest cities in which I would expect there to be a shop competent to complete this work are all in excess of 200 miles away...Amarillo is 230 miles south, Wichita is about at least 300 miles to the east, and Denver is about 330 miles to the west. We are use to driving long distances out here just to get basic necessities...so we either do without or make sure we stock up. It is a very different lifestyle from the urban convenience I "endured" for 35 years near Houston.

I am leaning toward shipping the entire housing assembly to Moser and letting them assemble a replacement using their products. They do have a stellar reputation, so there would be no need to "supervise", so to speak. If I do that there is no reason to leave the car in TX...but if there is an option in the Houston area it would be a distinct possibility simply because I own a home there and I could keep an eye on the progress.

Either way...it is going to be a long row to hoe!!!

Thanks to all who have offered helpful suggestions...please continue to make recommendations for competent shops in the Houston area as well as in the Austin to DFW corridor.

Dugly

Old 04-07-2017, 05:18 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
My issue with bringing it to KS is that I reside in a very remote area...the nearest WalMart is 90 miles away...McDonalds is closer, only 35 miles.
Well, if given the choice of having my car fixed at WalMart or McDonalds, I would choose McDonalds. I particularly like the sausage, egg, and cheese McGriddle. In fact, it's one of my favorites.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Well, if given the choice of having my car fixed at WalMart or McDonalds, I would choose McDonalds. I particularly like the sausage, egg, and cheese McGriddle. In fact, it's one of my favorites.
LOL, Patrick!

I kinda like their taquitos....

...but they wanted too much to fix the housing, so I still need recommendations for shops in the Houston area.

Most people have a WalMart within 9 blocks of their houses, they find it difficult to believe that our nearest one is 90+ miles away, so I use those two examples to help them understand how far things can be here on the great High Plains. We ARE very remote out here.

Cheers, and thanks for the chuckle!

Dugly