View Single Post
Old 04-16-2017, 09:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

I would not need a class 3 FFL to purchase, but I do believe the transfer must go through a class 3 FFL dealer. I do not believe you as an individual who legally owns a class 3 weapon could directly sell it to me or anyone for that matter. A friend is a class 3 FFL dealer. I would have to check with him to be certain, but I'm pretty sure that is the law.

I have went to the Knob Creek Kentucky shoot with him several times, but that was a long time ago. I took my boys. It is a fun time. Never any problems. One fellow had a WW2 tank with 50 calibers. I don't recall the main gun ever firing. Another had a 20MM Gatlin out of an air craft - sounds like a top fuel dragster comming off the line. Several mini-guns both 5.56 and 7.62 Nato. Quite the party.

Edit: I did a google search. I was only half right (or half wrong). To transfer across state lines requires a class 3 FFL dealer, but a transfer inside a state only requires ATF approval and a tax stamp.

3) Transferring ownership of an NFA weapon – All NFA weapons regardless of category (machineguns, silencers, etc.) are controlled during their transfer from one person/entity to another. These weapons transfer to another entity on what is called ATF tax forms. Each ownership transfer MUST be approved by the ATF before the transfer takes place. This approval takes sometimes many months. Generally individual transfer is approved in 3-4 months, dealer to dealer in 3-4 weeks. When the ATF approves the transfer, they cancel a tax stamp and this is why you sometimes hear some say class 3 stamp. Transfers from/to individuals require a one time $200 tax stamp to be paid for EACH transfer (AOWs require just a $5 stamp). These are considered tax paid transfers and usually are on an ATF form 4. Dealers can transfer to other dealers using a tax free Form 3.

If a person buys NFA weapon(s) or item from someone outside his/her domicile (home) state, the weapon must be transferred 1st to a SOT holder within the buyer’s state, similar to a Title 1 firearm transaction. It must go to a FFL/SOT dealer in the buyer’s state before going to the buyer.

Last edited by olddog; 04-16-2017 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: Goggle search: