LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-16-2017, 06:25 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile I like fast guns, also

I love fast cars and I love fast guns.

Back in the early 90's I started buying machine guns. At the time they were cheap $450 to $800 plus the $200 tax stamp.

Federal building got blown up and other political stuff, plus ammo prices double in a few month and we stopped shooting.

In 2000 I started my Cobra build. As time moved on I build a shop on 8 acres of land in the county, seven miles from my house.

When we build the shop I need chirt for the foundation base. I ended up with a gravel pit about 60' wide and 50 yds deep. Perfect, I now how a place to shoot.

In the last few years I made improvement on the pit.

Last year about this time Colonel Mike brought two car / gun guys from Finland to shoot some of my guns.

Ammo prices dropped after the Election so I've bought a bunch this winter.

This pass winter I added some swinging targets on a post.
And a 10' x 20' tent so we can shoot in the shade.

Last week Coach brought his brother Chuck to shoot. Chuck is from Colorado and I don't think they can play like this out there. Coach paid for the ammo which cost about $150 an hour for a couple of hours. His brother said it was money well spend

I've posted a few video's of Chuck shooting some of my stuff on My Channel on You Tube.
BM 59, Thompson, 1919, MK 760, M 16 and a few others.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnl...Jy4gxXCu4SZ9YQ

Several of us are shooting more this year because of the lower ammo prices.

It nice to go shoot 3 or 4 boxes of 45 acp in the Thompson. Just love shooting that gun. I can not imagine carrying that gun all day with 10 30 rds stick mags. The mags feel like they weight 2 lbs each.

For me they are fun guns. Wish I had kept the four I sold to finance my Cobra. They are worth over $100,000 today.

Dwight
Old 04-16-2017, 07:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

I always loved and wanted a Thompson. Back in the day they were reasonably priced, but with a young family, I limited myself to hunting weapons. Looking back it would have been a good investment.

I was at a local hunting clubs swap meet, back in the early 1980's, and ran into a fellow with a Thompson on his shoulder. I asked him what he wanted for it and he said $200. I was going to buy it, for that price, so I was looking it over. It had been notched for the 50 round drum magazine. Then I looked, and it was a full auto. I told him it was full auto and he said yes it is. I said that requires a class 3 FFL and a tax stamp. He claimed it didn't. I stepped back and looked at his clothes. A bit too nice for the crowd we were in. I handed the gun back to him, and said as loud as I could "you are a BATF officer looking to entrap someone." He left without saying a word.

So I could of had one for 200 bucks, but I would have been arrested shortly thereafter.

Last edited by olddog; 04-16-2017 at 07:21 AM..
Old 04-16-2017, 07:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

You don't need a Class III license but you do have to pay the $200 for the tax stamp.

I guess Hollywood has mis-informed us for ever about the legality of machine guns. There are about 221,000 transferable machine gun for individuals. They must have the paperwork to be legal. In Alabama if you can legally purchase a pistol then you can buy a machine gun. Takes more money a lot more time.

Now it's taking a year for the FBI and ATF/IRS to process the applications for transfer.

Guns I gave $450 for in '92 are now selling for $8,000. Shieees

Dwight
Old 04-16-2017, 09:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

My drill Sargent used to say that even a ring on your finger got heavy carrying it around all day but if you didn't put mind over matter and think your weapon felt like a feather you would be SOL when the SHTF
Old 04-16-2017, 09:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratchbuild, 289 FIA Replica
Not Ranked     

My good friend is a Class III manufacturer. (Controlled Chaos Arms) Once you qualify as a manufacturer, you can T&E non-transferables pretty much ad infinitum. And the non-transferables are cheap. Or free. The State Patrol stores seized weapons at this guy's shop, so he has some pretty cool toys.

Happiness is a warm, full auto belt fed Browning that some farmer brought back after WWI, hid in his barn and was turned in to the State Patrol. Fired by a hot red head, naturally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQJPbMwrxRo
Old 04-16-2017, 09:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

I would not need a class 3 FFL to purchase, but I do believe the transfer must go through a class 3 FFL dealer. I do not believe you as an individual who legally owns a class 3 weapon could directly sell it to me or anyone for that matter. A friend is a class 3 FFL dealer. I would have to check with him to be certain, but I'm pretty sure that is the law.

I have went to the Knob Creek Kentucky shoot with him several times, but that was a long time ago. I took my boys. It is a fun time. Never any problems. One fellow had a WW2 tank with 50 calibers. I don't recall the main gun ever firing. Another had a 20MM Gatlin out of an air craft - sounds like a top fuel dragster comming off the line. Several mini-guns both 5.56 and 7.62 Nato. Quite the party.

Edit: I did a google search. I was only half right (or half wrong). To transfer across state lines requires a class 3 FFL dealer, but a transfer inside a state only requires ATF approval and a tax stamp.

3) Transferring ownership of an NFA weapon – All NFA weapons regardless of category (machineguns, silencers, etc.) are controlled during their transfer from one person/entity to another. These weapons transfer to another entity on what is called ATF tax forms. Each ownership transfer MUST be approved by the ATF before the transfer takes place. This approval takes sometimes many months. Generally individual transfer is approved in 3-4 months, dealer to dealer in 3-4 weeks. When the ATF approves the transfer, they cancel a tax stamp and this is why you sometimes hear some say class 3 stamp. Transfers from/to individuals require a one time $200 tax stamp to be paid for EACH transfer (AOWs require just a $5 stamp). These are considered tax paid transfers and usually are on an ATF form 4. Dealers can transfer to other dealers using a tax free Form 3.

If a person buys NFA weapon(s) or item from someone outside his/her domicile (home) state, the weapon must be transferred 1st to a SOT holder within the buyer’s state, similar to a Title 1 firearm transaction. It must go to a FFL/SOT dealer in the buyer’s state before going to the buyer.

Last edited by olddog; 04-16-2017 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: Goggle search:
Old 04-17-2017, 06:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
Youtube says this channel doesn't exist?

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 04-17-2017, 01:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR#499 351W with Webers
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
My good friend is a Class III manufacturer. (Controlled Chaos Arms) Once you qualify as a manufacturer, you can T&E non-transferables pretty much ad infinitum. And the non-transferables are cheap. Or free. The State Patrol stores seized weapons at this guy's shop, so he has some pretty cool toys.

Happiness is a warm, full auto belt fed Browning that some farmer brought back after WWI, hid in his barn and was turned in to the State Patrol. Fired by a hot red head, naturally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQJPbMwrxRo
Trouble is once you give up your manufacture's license, you have to surrender, or destroy all non-transferable NFA weapons. You cannot use you status as a Class III manufacturer to enhance your private collection...
Old 04-17-2017, 05:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

Class III are dealers. They buy and sell.

A Class II license allow them to manufacture NFA weapons.
Gun Doc likes this.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

OK let me try again on the You Tube link

Old 04-19-2017, 09:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR#499 351W with Webers
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Class III are dealers. They buy and sell.

A Class II license allow them to manufacture NFA weapons.

Dwight, you are absolutely correct. Class II license holders are allowed to manufacture NFA weapons (special tax registration), but most folks associate NFA weapons with Class III dealers, not manufactures. This is why I cautioned against thinking it was okay to enhance one's private collection via a class III license.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
OK let me try again on the You Tube link

That worked. Fun toys.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 04-21-2017, 05:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

Gun Doc I was not trying to be a smart ass.

I just wanted to explain the difference between to two.

Dwight

Fast Cars and Fast Guns
Gun Doc likes this.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: