Old 09-11-2017, 11:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
Buzz: Outliers are always present...no matter the topic of conversation. If I were to plop a 427 body on top of a c7 chassis - that is not a Cobra to me - same is true with outliers you speak of in your examples. If said cars represent less than 1% of all Cobras and replicars made - it really is non-representative of what I am referencing. Understand?

#3170 wouldn't fare well against tge majority of semi-racy hot rods of today...that does not diminish what it is and accomplished. It does, however, put the phenomenal advancement that has occurred over the last 50-years. Heck, even my old 1970 914 would outperform it...

Regarding the moon wheeled car - yes, it is immensely powerful.

PS: Typing from my phone...please forgive errors!

Tony
I am probably going to regret jumping in on this thread but feel the need to
to defend poor old CSX 3170. I am primarily an autoxer but have raced Formula Atlantic cars in the past and various other machines over the years.
People tend to put down autoxing as racing around cones in a parking lot especially if they have not done it. It is far more difficult than road racing from a technical standpoint (I am speaking of amateur racing not professional
levels). My car was developed specifically for autox so that is what it does
best it is also developed around 200 tw street tires. Having said that I have no doubt that it's track performance would also be quite good. You are
correct it would be extremely unsafe for the driver and car so no track days for me. I also own a very competitive 991 GT3 Porsche that won the 2016 and 2017 Solo2 National Championship in SS. It beat Porsche GT3's and GT4's, C7 Corvette's and a new Honda NSX hybrid last week at the Nationals.
Now that we have established it's credentials my Cobra is 1 to 2 seconds faster than my GT3 on the same autox track using the same Bridgestone tires. The only difference is the Cobra uses 1 size larger front tire.
We have the Cobra instrumented and it pulls over 1.45 G's in lateral acceleration and 1.2 G's in braking. We have seen 1.1 to 1.2 G's in acceleration all the way to 90 mph so the car stops, goes and turns well by any standards. We have no aero dynamic aids so Morris can take on the "semi racing hot rods" that do. The Cobra has 19x12" rear and 18x11" front wheels, 6 piston front brakes with full floating 13" slotted rotors and 4 piston 12" rear rotors. The engine is red lined at 9300 rpm and makes 820 hp and 556 lb/ft. Weight distribution is 48/52 at 2370#. Suspension is my design and has excellent camber gain and relatively perfect bump steer, bring on those new cars! Here is a video from several years ago with old engine. It made 850 with 632 lb/ft but would only turn 8200 it has a 3:31 rear and has the following speeds in gear @8200 1- 83, 2 - 112, 3 - 148 notice how well it pulls gears we could not use full throttle because of wheel spin, bring on that 914!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hedl...hpJ1Q&index=46

I think Jon Kaase is the best Ford engine builder out there but getting it to the ground is the hard part.