Old 10-01-2017, 12:31 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison 514, Toploader 4 sp, Jag IRS
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Bebout View Post
Brent, thank you for the list. We'd tried a few of them and now there are more to contact, if necessary. I talked to Bob Putnam this morning and I'll be calling back on Monday morning to talk to their parts guru, Doug.

Hi Karl,

I imagine you may be in a timeframe to get back in action given the circumstance on your trip. So perhaps you need to find whatever you can that’s readily available.

However, it also sounds like stronger material/treatment axles are in order if the existing ones twisted on your car already.

You may be aware, but it seems many are using 4340 chrome-moly or 1541(H) alloy steel axles. Those seem to be common aftermarket stub axles in blogs and on Summit for example (just in terms of surveying materials).

Obviously, some bloggers recommend higher quality variants with various heat treatment and other properties. This seems to include 4340M (I believe the same as 300M) fairly commonly, some E4340, some 4340AQ (aircraft quality), some 9310, etc.

At any rate, it may just be a good discussion point/topic with Bob Putnam or such as you work to narrow your search.

I have a couple charts that list some relative axle material strength information for general perspective, but I can't seem to attach them. If I get a chance soon and can get it figured, I'll do so.

Wish you the best there! Please do update with your source/results for those of us that will likely be doing similar at some point.

Brent

Last edited by EM-0785; 10-01-2017 at 12:53 AM.. Reason: Spelling