Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 09-29-2017, 05:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     
Default ERA Stub Axle Info Needed....PLEASE

My 2119 and I were on a nice 4000 mile road trip, having a great time, loving life. UNTIL, just as I pulled off the Interstate for fuel, my rear end locked up. Seems I lost the pinion seal, then the lube, then the pinion bearing, then the posi...Real lucky it didn't happen a couple minutes earlier at 85MPH. Found a good repair shop in Boise and they've been sorting and searching several days. Last night, it was discovered that in addition to all the other damage, my axle stubs had twisted. We have all the other parts needed, I hope, but now to source the stub axles. I have the standard Jag/Salisbury set up with the inboard brakes. Are the stub axles custom made or are they from a specific model. 19 spline BTW. Any info is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA2041 sold 2021
Not Ranked     

Call Bob Putnam at ERA 860 224-0253. He probably has documentation of your build, and may have replacement parts. I think they are there on Saturday mornings too.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:41 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Bebout View Post
Are the stub axles custom made or are they from a specific model. 19 spline BTW. Any info is greatly appreciated.
Pete's right -- ERA has (or they used to) both regular, and high-strength, stub axles in stock. I would call them first. I have the outboard braked rear, not the standard, but it uses the same Jaguar stub axles.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA2041 sold 2021
Not Ranked     

Bob has also shipped me parts quickly, when I needed them.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'll be calling ERA in the morning. Thanks
Old 09-30-2017, 06:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

The differential (and stub axles) is based on a 1965-1987 Jaguar XJ and the corresponding XKE years. See the manual.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks everyone. The search continues, but now I know better exactly what I'm looking for.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:36 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison 514, Toploader 4 sp, Jag IRS
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thanks everyone. The search continues, but now I know better exactly what I'm looking for.
Here are some possible options? I recently did some initial research on resources for Jag IRS rebuilds/upgrades/parts (incl strong axles), Seems the 19 splines are getting harder to find. Some below offer more 30 spline conversions, but may be good resources for locating 19 splined? Don’t know if all are still in business, mean no disrespect if they aren’t around. Hopefully this can help (in no particular order):

Coventry West Inc. (Jag parts, rebuilds, Georgia, 8-5 M-F ET)
800-331-2193; 770-484-6500

Mark Williams Enterprises (Axles, driveshafts, etc., Colorado, 8-5 M-F Mountain)
866-508-6394; 303-665-6901

JH Engineering (Jag/IRS parts & engineering, California)
760-228-0241; 402-430-9178 (cell) ; jhengineering.com

Maurice Weaver at Unique Motorcars
They still use Jag IRS and may be a valuable resource
256-546-3708

AJS Engineering Services (Alan Slawson) – Jag IRS Rebuilds
Tel: 07831 163 158
Email: sales@ajsengineering.com

Vintage Jag Works - Idaho

Ward Engineering – ward-engineering.co.uk (parts & rebuilds, in U.K.)

Jagaxles.co.uk (parts)

Jagbits.com (parts, not XKE?)

Classicjaguar.com (indicates more E type jag IRS rebuilds than anyone else in the U.S.)

Lippincotts Garage – jag IRS rebuilds, Pennsylvania

ERA

Kirkham

4 wheel drive shops

Yukon Gear (axles, driveshafts)

XJ’s Unlimited (parts, xjs.com)

Moss Motors (parts, mossmotors.com)

For what it's worth...Brent

Last edited by EM-0785; 09-30-2017 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-30-2017, 09:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Brent, thank you for the list. We'd tried a few of them and now there are more to contact, if necessary. I talked to Bob Putnam this morning and I'll be calling back on Monday morning to talk to their parts guru, Doug.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:31 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison 514, Toploader 4 sp, Jag IRS
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Brent, thank you for the list. We'd tried a few of them and now there are more to contact, if necessary. I talked to Bob Putnam this morning and I'll be calling back on Monday morning to talk to their parts guru, Doug.

Hi Karl,

I imagine you may be in a timeframe to get back in action given the circumstance on your trip. So perhaps you need to find whatever you can that’s readily available.

However, it also sounds like stronger material/treatment axles are in order if the existing ones twisted on your car already.

You may be aware, but it seems many are using 4340 chrome-moly or 1541(H) alloy steel axles. Those seem to be common aftermarket stub axles in blogs and on Summit for example (just in terms of surveying materials).

Obviously, some bloggers recommend higher quality variants with various heat treatment and other properties. This seems to include 4340M (I believe the same as 300M) fairly commonly, some E4340, some 4340AQ (aircraft quality), some 9310, etc.

At any rate, it may just be a good discussion point/topic with Bob Putnam or such as you work to narrow your search.

I have a couple charts that list some relative axle material strength information for general perspective, but I can't seem to attach them. If I get a chance soon and can get it figured, I'll do so.

Wish you the best there! Please do update with your source/results for those of us that will likely be doing similar at some point.

Brent

Last edited by EM-0785; 10-01-2017 at 12:53 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-01-2017, 07:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This is probably what you need:

https://www.bighealey.co.uk/jaguar/axle-5?page=2

They make the 19 spline axles for their race cars.

I do not know what engine you have, but if you have to have new axles made, you might want to think about going to a 30 spline and save yourself a lot of grief later. I upgraded mine over the winter last year. You can do it 2 ways. 1) replace the carrier, or 2) you can replace the internals of the carrier with 30 spline gears and use the 30 spline axles. Either way, it will be a lot stronger.

If you are in a real hurry, I have a set sitting here from a 65 Jag that had tapered bearings if that is the style you have.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Joyridin', sent PM.

Regrettably, my puny little 289 doesn't have the torque to twist the axles. It must have happened when the differential locked up, and the tires kept trying to turn.

Thanks y'all
Old 10-03-2017, 08:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Axle stubs are in transit to my repair shop in Boise and should be there either tomorrow or Thursday. Joyridin Ron in Cleveland was a tremendous help. He knew I was in a bind but didn't rape me on the price, was very reasonable and did everything he could to get the parts moving quickly. After Ron and I got everything arranged, I received a reply from Jaguar Heaven's Don, that they had both the early style(ball bearing) and later style (tapered bearing) in stock, should anyone else have the need. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Karl,

Nice to hear that you will soon be back on your way. It was also nice to see the cobra community coming forward and helping in a time of need. I hope that your 289 did not notice that "puny" remark, he might feel the need to set you straight by tearing through those new stub axles in a hurry

Jim