View Single Post
Old 10-13-2017, 05:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     
Default Tips for pulling Toploader back out of car?

My toploader is working fine but is also doing a fine job of marking it's territory underneath. So thinking about going through it this winter and re-sealing it. I rebuilt a A727 torquflite and Muncie last year and neither leak so sealing this thing up shouldn't be too big a task. But not looking forward to pulling that heavy - ass thing out. I used an engine hoist to sling it in there but I would now have to go rent one. So anyone pull yours and have a couple good back-saving tips?

I figured pull seats, carpets and tunnel. Jack under bellhousing to elevate the transmission some and pull shifter/driveshaft, etc. Slide plywood underneath transmission and cover floor over to door sill. Install 4 6-inch dowels in transmission bolt holes to carry transmission weight while pulling it out of the clutch disc. And then what - drop it on the plywood and slide it over and lift out (aching back). Rent or borrow a hoist? Other ideas?

Thanks

Dan