Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By patrickt
  • 1 Post By HI Cobra
  • 1 Post By patrickt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2017, 05:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     
Default Tips for pulling Toploader back out of car?

My toploader is working fine but is also doing a fine job of marking it's territory underneath. So thinking about going through it this winter and re-sealing it. I rebuilt a A727 torquflite and Muncie last year and neither leak so sealing this thing up shouldn't be too big a task. But not looking forward to pulling that heavy - ass thing out. I used an engine hoist to sling it in there but I would now have to go rent one. So anyone pull yours and have a couple good back-saving tips?

I figured pull seats, carpets and tunnel. Jack under bellhousing to elevate the transmission some and pull shifter/driveshaft, etc. Slide plywood underneath transmission and cover floor over to door sill. Install 4 6-inch dowels in transmission bolt holes to carry transmission weight while pulling it out of the clutch disc. And then what - drop it on the plywood and slide it over and lift out (aching back). Rent or borrow a hoist? Other ideas?

Thanks

Dan
Old 10-13-2017, 06:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: # 757 ERA 427 SC , 482 Al. big block
Not Ranked     

Not a toploader , but aTKO600R . If you`re doing this by yourself , get the hoist and use a sling. I never remove the carpet , just cover them . Get a plug for the rear output shaft to keep the oil in the tranny and not all over the car and floor. I remove the steering wheel for more room to maneuver . I also take the driver`s side door off for more room ....takes 10 minutes to put it back on and align it. If you pull the tranny from the passenger side , leave the steering wheel on. Obviously , the drive shaft has to be removed . On mine , I have to remove the e brake and cover as it`s attached to the tunnel .
Put the sling under the tranny , lift some and then remove the flange bolts. Lift the tranny some more and it will move back by itself . Then it`s just a matter of raising the back of the engine and sliding it back and raising the back of the tranny to get it out . If it binds , play with the engine height and or the tranny angle . Not a bad job at all except for aligning the input shaft with the splines in the disc . Sometimes it slips right in ,, sometimes you have to talk to it and play with the engine/tranny angles. Again, when it`s right it just slips in . Put your top bolts in first to keep stress off the input shaft.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     

Dan,
For a couple hundred bucks you can buy an engine hoist and load leveler. Do you not want to mess with storing one?
Evan
Old 10-13-2017, 07:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Thanks - no need to disturb the clutch so I'm anticipating it should slide easily back in (well it should go back in anyway - not sure about easily). Sounds like one vote for borrowing/renting a hoist.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHiPo View Post
Dan,
For a couple hundred bucks you can buy an engine hoist and load leveler. Do you not want to mess with storing one?
Evan
Evan - yes, it's the storage issue. And I may still buy one but I'm about out of places to put stuff since I'm working out of an oversize 4-car garage - but still not the same as a shop. I've already got 3 tool chests, rolling workbench, 4x4 workbench, 24 lin ft of other work benches/shelving, 12 lin ft of shelving, 4 hydraulic jacks, transmission jack, sandblast cabinet, 4-post lift, grinder/stand, 6-cars (yes!) and a bunch of other assorted stuff. Stuff I can carry I've hauled up to our floored attic. I won't let any one go out there unattended for fear of something happening to them or one of the cars. Tearing down and working on a car is a major logistics and space issue.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:45 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Dan, it's only 100 lbs. -- just build a quick block and tackle hoist with 2 x 4 wood pieces and roller casters on the bottom. Use bolts to connect the pieces so you can easily disassemble them when you're done. With a weight that is only a hundred pounds, a 4:1 block and tackle will make it easy to lift up and the roller casters will let you roll it around to wherever you want it.
ACHiPo likes this.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:23 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR 427 S/C, 351W, 5 Sp & KMP142 - 427 SO, 4 Spd
Not Ranked     

I would also drain the transmission fluid first - no spills. Ask me how I know.
ACHiPo likes this.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Dan, it's only 100 lbs. -- just build a quick block and tackle hoist with 2 x 4 wood pieces and roller casters on the bottom. Use bolts to connect the pieces so you can easily disassemble them when you're done. With a weight that is only a hundred pounds, a 4:1 block and tackle will make it easy to lift up and the roller casters will let you roll it around to wherever you want it.
Patrick - I don't care what they do say about you, you do come up with some good ideas now and then. In this case you jogged my memory that I used my 4-post lift as a sort of jib crane to lift my GTX's 175 lb transmission down off of the transmission jack. I might be able to make that work again or maybe just fab up a little rolling hoist.

Hi Cobra - good point about draining the fluid - a Toploader does have a bottom plug to make that easy.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:31 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
Patrick - I don't care what they do say about you, you do come up with some good ideas now and then.
Yes, I store them up and then let them out slowly, now and then, just to keep the forum interesting....
ACHiPo likes this.
Old 10-14-2017, 04:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

These Toploaders only weight about 20 lbs more than a Muncie but that 20 seems more like 40 when trying to cart it around. Thankfully Shelby didn't go to Chrysler for an engine in these cars - I think an A833 4-speed is about 115 lbs.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Bottom line for transmission weight is that if you have a powerful engine, you need a solid gearbox behind it. The Toploader with shifter weighs in almost identically with a TKO600 at around 100lb.

Have you considered a small motorcycle scissor-lift table? I bought one for (eventually) installing my Toploader; fitted castor wheels to it for maneuverability. I used it recently for installing the diff. centre ....and that worked well.
Load rating is around 135kg / 300lb and it cost around USD60

Cheers
Glen

Last edited by xb-60; 10-23-2017 at 10:12 PM..