View Single Post
Old 10-13-2017, 06:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: # 757 ERA 427 SC , 482 Al. big block
Not Ranked     

Not a toploader , but aTKO600R . If you`re doing this by yourself , get the hoist and use a sling. I never remove the carpet , just cover them . Get a plug for the rear output shaft to keep the oil in the tranny and not all over the car and floor. I remove the steering wheel for more room to maneuver . I also take the driver`s side door off for more room ....takes 10 minutes to put it back on and align it. If you pull the tranny from the passenger side , leave the steering wheel on. Obviously , the drive shaft has to be removed . On mine , I have to remove the e brake and cover as it`s attached to the tunnel .
Put the sling under the tranny , lift some and then remove the flange bolts. Lift the tranny some more and it will move back by itself . Then it`s just a matter of raising the back of the engine and sliding it back and raising the back of the tranny to get it out . If it binds , play with the engine height and or the tranny angle . Not a bad job at all except for aligning the input shaft with the splines in the disc . Sometimes it slips right in ,, sometimes you have to talk to it and play with the engine/tranny angles. Again, when it`s right it just slips in . Put your top bolts in first to keep stress off the input shaft.