Thread: US Cobra build
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2017, 04:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungy View Post
Next year I move to Florida for 2-3 years through work. As such, I am very seriously considering building a Cobra while there. At this stage it would likely be a factory five as I have checked these kits out when looking a couple years ago and they looked pretty good. The intention would be to build it as RHD over there, which is where FF would be handy as they have info on this already.

Would I have much trouble getting it engineered in Aus on my return? There are multiple posts regarding engineering certificates required for registration interstate, but I'm concerned that as there would be no during build inspections done whilst in Aus there may be issues. On completion of job, I move to Canberra so I would ensure that build would be to Canberra engineering spec ie side indicators, high brake light....

There are significant benefits building over there, greater access to parts, no Aus tax and as I am working for an Aus company, as long as I have it registered for a year I wouldn't have to pay import tax on return.

Any advice you guys/gals could provide would be awesome.
Bungy
All depends what you would prefer to do.
If you want the challenge of your own build go with the Factory Five, let me know and Ill get you a contact there who can help you with a RHD kit. You will need to address a few things through your build as you pointed out regarding ADR.
The Backdraft will be easier for you if you don't want the full build challenge but you will need to order a AUS specific model RHD from the manufacturer, Reg in Florida can help you with this or let me know.
It will be quite a bit more expensive than the LHD US version but it has a lot of upgrades to help Aus rego. Chassis torsion reports, upgrades for side impact, upgraded steering column,...etc.

If you go with the Backdraft it will have much more of the Aus compliance completed. The FFR you will need to address as you go by sourcing parts from either home or the UK.

As for the 2 cars, side by side they do look a little different. The FFR the smaller and maybe a little more authentic looking than the Backdraft but if you are a slightly taller or larger guy its a no brainer.. The Backdraft is 75mm larger in the cockpit which for a bigger guy makes all the difference..

Good luck wit the move to the US...lucky Bugger!!!
All the best.
Chris