Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By LoBelly
  • 1 Post By boxhead
  • 1 Post By Buzz
  • 2 Post By Component Cars

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-13-2017, 03:39 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default US Cobra build

Next year I move to Florida for 2-3 years through work. As such, I am very seriously considering building a Cobra while there. At this stage it would likely be a factory five as I have checked these kits out when looking a couple years ago and they looked pretty good. The intention would be to build it as RHD over there, which is where FF would be handy as they have info on this already.

Would I have much trouble getting it engineered in Aus on my return? There are multiple posts regarding engineering certificates required for registration interstate, but I'm concerned that as there would be no during build inspections done whilst in Aus there may be issues. On completion of job, I move to Canberra so I would ensure that build would be to Canberra engineering spec ie side indicators, high brake light....

There are significant benefits building over there, greater access to parts, no Aus tax and as I am working for an Aus company, as long as I have it registered for a year I wouldn't have to pay import tax on return.

Any advice you guys/gals could provide would be awesome.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If you're in Florida just get Reg Dodd of Backdraft Racing to build you an Australian compliant RHD Backdraft. There based in Boynton Beach. There are a few here registered in Oz in RHD and fully complianced. They use to be sold through Component Cars in WA but no longer afaik.

Only suggesting them due to your Florida location. Their cars aren't for everyone but if you can locally control your own build there's a big value in that alone.

Cheers and good luck.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:01 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I didn't realise backdraft was based in Florida and I did see a couple cars at component cars. The only reason I wasn't really considering them was they come complete and I was treating the build as a hobby. I might look into them again.

Thanks for the tip
Old 12-13-2017, 05:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yes they're turn key minus but might be the smoothest (cough as if there is such a thing) way to get it back into Oz.

Then again.....maybe this will apply

Left-hand drive supercars to be legal in Oz by 2019 – cheers Mr Turnbull
Old 12-13-2017, 09:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

I think it may be worth investigating the personal import options

https://infrastructure.gov.au/vehicl...tions/pis.aspx

LB
boxhead likes this.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RS3
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookypt View Post

Only suggesting them due to your Florida location. Their cars aren't for everyone but if you can locally control your own build there's a big value in that alone.

Cheers and good luck.
Why do you say their cars are not for everyone?
Old 12-14-2017, 06:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #812 427/482 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungy View Post
Next year I move to Florida for 2-3 years through work.

...as long as I have it registered for a year I wouldn't have to pay import tax on return.

You will have to finish the build in order to register the car. If you are in Florida for 2-3 years, and need it registered for at least a year before you leave, then you would have to finish the build in 1-2 years, this may be difficult on a FFR, but doable on a turnkey minus car like the Backdraft.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

If you know you are going to be there 2 years.
I would buy an already built car (left hand drive and older with carb engine)
Get it registered in your name and take it off the road.
Rebuild it and after 2 years of ownership with Rego, I believe you can bring it over as a personal import.
Check the laws to be 100% sure.
I do not know how you would go on selling the car at a later date?
albanycobra likes this.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flukeyluke View Post
Why do you say their cars are not for everyone?
Extended wheelbase and dramatically altered body shape give them a very distinctive look that may or may not be viewed as appealing. Different strokes, etc.
Flukeyluke likes this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 12-15-2017, 06:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace 427SC. LSA Supercharged with 6sp TR-6060 trans.
Not Ranked     

You might want to check the import costs again.

Personal imports are still subject to GST and import duty, and luxury car tax depending on the vehicle's value.

https://www.border.gov.au/Busi/cargo...motor-vehicles

Importing a car into Australia -customs, duty, GST, Import Approval Permits
Old 12-17-2017, 04:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungy View Post
Next year I move to Florida for 2-3 years through work. As such, I am very seriously considering building a Cobra while there. At this stage it would likely be a factory five as I have checked these kits out when looking a couple years ago and they looked pretty good. The intention would be to build it as RHD over there, which is where FF would be handy as they have info on this already.

Would I have much trouble getting it engineered in Aus on my return? There are multiple posts regarding engineering certificates required for registration interstate, but I'm concerned that as there would be no during build inspections done whilst in Aus there may be issues. On completion of job, I move to Canberra so I would ensure that build would be to Canberra engineering spec ie side indicators, high brake light....

There are significant benefits building over there, greater access to parts, no Aus tax and as I am working for an Aus company, as long as I have it registered for a year I wouldn't have to pay import tax on return.

Bungy
All depends what you would prefer to do.
If you want the challenge of your own build go with the Factory Five, let me know and Ill get you a contact there who can help you with a RHD kit. You will need to address a few things through your build as you pointed out regarding ADR.
The Backdraft will be easier for you if you don't want the full build challenge but you will need to order a AUS specific model RHD from the manufacturer, Reg in Florida can help you with this or let me know.
It will be quite a bit more expensive than the LHD US version but it has a lot of upgrades to help Aus rego. Chassis torsion reports, upgrades for side impact, upgraded steering column,...etc.

If you go with the Backdraft it will have much more of the Aus compliance completed. The FFR you will need to address as you go by sourcing parts from either home or the UK.

As for the 2 cars, side by side they do look a little different. The FFR the smaller and maybe a little more authentic looking than the Backdraft but if you are a slightly taller or larger guy its a no brainer.. The Backdraft is 75mm larger in the cockpit which for a bigger guy makes all the difference..

Good luck wit the move to the US...lucky Bugger!!!
All the best.
Chris
LoBelly and Tonus72 like this.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

I have been looking at backdraft cars and I'm not too sure about the chassis being able to meet the Aust. standards.. just a thought and a mention to consider.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob. Smith View Post
I have been looking at backdraft cars and I'm not too sure about the chassis being able to meet the Aust. standards.. just a thought and a mention to consider.
A handful of backdrafts in oz already that comply. No issue. They have the data to comply.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mk4 Roadster, LS3, TR6060, 8 3/4"
Not Ranked     

From when I brought in my Factory Five, I recall talking with customs and really they only want to let in complete registered cars with VIN numbers, or car parts.

If you are building a car and maybe not quite finished yet, if you ship it with most of the car in one box, and the engine, gearbox, wheels say in another box, they would consider that car parts and let it in. If all together in one box, then its called a car, so it has more restrictions on it.

You could even finish the car then pull the engine out for shipping and it should be ok.

Then complete and do final registration here. My FF is registered (several in WA) so we know they pass.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: