Old 12-20-2017, 10:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC Ventura View Post
Hi Guys,

Okay I'm just about to test attach to my all new, all aluminium 427 FE, the flywheel, clutch and trans for the first time. The engine is neutral/internally balanced so therefore the flywheel is plain and has no bolt on weight.
I've noticed that the spacing for the bolts that attach the flywheel are on the same PCD but not equally spaced. Is this simply to index the flywheel, just in case the engine was externally balanced and needed the weight? Does having the bolts unequally spaced, when using a plain flywheel, not cause vibration? I must say there's a small drilling on the back side, which maybe is to counterbalance it ??
Also if anybody has a torque setting for the clutch pressure plate bolts (Mr Gasket #911 5/16") I'd be most grateful. I believe the flywheel itself is 75 ft/lbs
The flywheel / crankshaft rear flange bolt pattern is asymmetrical, regardless of whether it's internally or externally balanced. Yes, solely for purposes of indexing the flywheel.

The small drilling on the back of the flywheel is almost certainly for balancing when it was made - it's easier to remove weight from the heavy side than add weight to the light side.

Torque Specs:
Flywheel to crankshaft: 85 ft/lbs, with threadlocker
Pressure plate: 35 ft/lbs, with threadlocker
Source: Ford 352 360 390 406 427 428 V8 Engine Specs | Torque Specs - Cylinder Numbering - Firing Order - Distributor Rotation

Summit Racing has slightly different specs:
Flywheel/flexplate bolts: 75-85 ft.-lbs.
Pressure plate bolts: 35 ft.-lbs.
Source: https://www.summitracing.com/experta...rd-torque-spec

Summit doesn't mention using threadlocker, but I'd be inclined to use it.