Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By blykins
  • 1 Post By DanEC
  • 1 Post By cycleguy55
  • 1 Post By DanEC
  • 1 Post By 2bars

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-20-2017, 08:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC Cars Limited, 302 EFI
Not Ranked     
Default Flywheel bolt spacing, unequal

Hi Guys,

Okay I'm just about to test attach to my all new, all aluminium 427 FE, the flywheel, clutch and trans for the first time. The engine is neutral/internally balanced so therefore the flywheel is plain and has no bolt on weight.
I've noticed that the spacing for the bolts that attach the flywheel are on the same PCD but not equally spaced. Is this simply to index the flywheel, just in case the engine was externally balanced and needed the weight? Does having the bolts unequally spaced, when using a plain flywheel, not cause vibration? I must say there's a small drilling on the back side, which maybe is to counterbalance it ??
Also if anybody has a torque setting for the clutch pressure plate bolts (Mr Gasket #911 5/16") I'd be most grateful. I believe the flywheel itself is 75 ft/lbs
Old 12-20-2017, 09:23 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

This page may be of help: Flywheel patterns for the clutch Now, when I had my FE built, I had it internally balanced because the SCAT stroker crank made that easy on my 428 block. The builder balanced my pressure plate, by welding a small chunk of metal, with the neutral balanced flywheel (which, of course, is never perfectly neutral) and marked both with a little, easy to line up, "X" -- that's the traditional way to do it. If you're going to the trouble of building a nice FE, you'll want to balance your clutch with your flywheel, but there are different bolt patterns and they all have to line up.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Just bolt it up. Fords have an offset pattern, so when you use an external balance flywheel, you can only bolt it on in the correct way.

Chevys have a dowel in the crank.

Accomplishes the same thing.
cycleguy55 likes this.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

The flywheel is supposed to be neutral balanced and the clutch plate neutral balanced. If both are new you may just have to bolt them up and go. The slight offset of the one flywheel bolt is not going to be an issue.

You may be able to get your flywheel and clutch plate balanced together and index marked over there. I tried to get both flywheel and clutch on my 66 Vette re-balanced this last summer (new flywheel) and was unable to locate anyone within 75 miles or so who had equipment to do it with anymore. Ten years ago it wasn't a problem. Everyone now wanted my stripped block components (crank, rods, pistons) and my flywheel and clutch to balance all together. I didn't want to mix new and older index balanced parts so I ended up buying all new components and just throwing it all on the engine - seems to be running smooth.
AC Ventura likes this.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC Ventura View Post
Hi Guys,

Okay I'm just about to test attach to my all new, all aluminium 427 FE, the flywheel, clutch and trans for the first time. The engine is neutral/internally balanced so therefore the flywheel is plain and has no bolt on weight.
I've noticed that the spacing for the bolts that attach the flywheel are on the same PCD but not equally spaced. Is this simply to index the flywheel, just in case the engine was externally balanced and needed the weight? Does having the bolts unequally spaced, when using a plain flywheel, not cause vibration? I must say there's a small drilling on the back side, which maybe is to counterbalance it ??
Also if anybody has a torque setting for the clutch pressure plate bolts (Mr Gasket #911 5/16") I'd be most grateful. I believe the flywheel itself is 75 ft/lbs
The flywheel / crankshaft rear flange bolt pattern is asymmetrical, regardless of whether it's internally or externally balanced. Yes, solely for purposes of indexing the flywheel.

The small drilling on the back of the flywheel is almost certainly for balancing when it was made - it's easier to remove weight from the heavy side than add weight to the light side.

Torque Specs:
Flywheel to crankshaft: 85 ft/lbs, with threadlocker
Pressure plate: 35 ft/lbs, with threadlocker
Source: Ford 352 360 390 406 427 428 V8 Engine Specs | Torque Specs - Cylinder Numbering - Firing Order - Distributor Rotation

Summit Racing has slightly different specs:
Flywheel/flexplate bolts: 75-85 ft.-lbs.
Pressure plate bolts: 35 ft.-lbs.
Source: https://www.summitracing.com/experta...rd-torque-spec

Summit doesn't mention using threadlocker, but I'd be inclined to use it.
AC Ventura likes this.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC Cars Limited, 302 EFI
Not Ranked     
Default Thanks guys

Seems pretty straight forward. Will do all this.
Old 12-20-2017, 03:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Use the blue threadlocker - it's sufficient and you won't have to struggle if you ever have to take it apart again.
AC Ventura likes this.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 427 FE
Not Ranked     

double check the length of the bolts to make sure they do not hit the block. My new Pond block, OE flywheel and bolts. The bolts were too long.
Nothing was damaged or anything like that, it was just one more discovery during test fitting.
AC Ventura likes this.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: