Old 01-06-2018, 05:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA 351W, B & B 427 Cobra, 331 Stroker,
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Munroe View Post
Akim,

I had a cooler installed without filter...it would take forever for the oil temp to approach 160+. In traffic it would come up to 180, and as soon as the car was moving it would drop drastically.

At the track temp would come up through a series of turns and half way down the front straight temp would totally disappear.

The CANTON thermostat I installed does a pretty good of job of increasing the speed of the oil to up from cold and RETAIN the heat when the car is moving.

In retrospect the car had no need for a oil cooler. The engine is at ~11 to 1 compression, dynoed at 350 hp and 355 torque at 6000 rpm. It does not generate enough heat to really need a cooler.

The remote filter was from ERA...mounts on the front of the left cylinder head. ERA supplied the aluminum plate that bolts to the head.

Three pictures on my Club Cobra page of the CANTON thermostat installation. It is totally out of the way on the FRONT of the crossmember.

Pete Munroe Gallery - Club Cobra Photo Gallery

Trying to post the three photos without much luck...too small or too big...
That's interesting...I just did a tear-down of my engine and the bearings were toast after 4k miles. Especially the thrust bearing. I wonder if my oil temps have been running too low. Thing is my oil temp gauge hasn't worked since I bought the car so I don't know where the temps have been running. Coolant temps haven't been running too cool though. Hmmmm...