View Single Post
Old 01-31-2018, 05:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX33849 (currently 460)
Not Ranked     
Default Would you swap it? Why?

Hi Guys,

After selling Cobras 1(428FE w/8 stack) & 2(427SO) I started building #3. While in the LONG process of building a "semi-scratch" build cobra, a nice driveable Contemporary Cobra deal came up that I couldn't pass. So now at least I get to drive while I build. The Contemporary came with a 460 and C4 tranny. I happen to have a freshly built (picked up from the machine shop in January) FE motor on a stand sitting between the cars. I also have a Lockwood bell housing, clutch, flywheel and Tremec TKO just sitting there....tempting me. I still need a couple of things to finish it up the motor but it's there.

I have already decided to put the TKO into the Contemporary and get the C4 out. New pedal box is already in place.

Here's my dilemma. Should I buy the bellhousing, flywheel, starter and clutch for the 460 and just mount the TKO behind that or should I just slide the FE in with the stuff I have?

As far as cost it's pretty close because I'm going to have to get new headers most likely for the FE if it goes in the CCX as I'm not sure the ones I have for the other build will work and I still have to buy a distributor and other misc stuff.

Downside to putting in the FE is having to change the motor mounts. If I just put the tranny behind the 460 I only have to modify the tranny mount.

I have to deal with the driveshaft either way.

Yeah, I know, it's a terrible problem to have.

What are your thoughts?