Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Dennis Mosley
  • 1 Post By 1795
  • 1 Post By bobcowan

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2018, 05:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX33849 (currently 460)
Not Ranked     
Default Would you swap it? Why?

Hi Guys,

After selling Cobras 1(428FE w/8 stack) & 2(427SO) I started building #3. While in the LONG process of building a "semi-scratch" build cobra, a nice driveable Contemporary Cobra deal came up that I couldn't pass. So now at least I get to drive while I build. The Contemporary came with a 460 and C4 tranny. I happen to have a freshly built (picked up from the machine shop in January) FE motor on a stand sitting between the cars. I also have a Lockwood bell housing, clutch, flywheel and Tremec TKO just sitting there....tempting me. I still need a couple of things to finish it up the motor but it's there.

I have already decided to put the TKO into the Contemporary and get the C4 out. New pedal box is already in place.

Here's my dilemma. Should I buy the bellhousing, flywheel, starter and clutch for the 460 and just mount the TKO behind that or should I just slide the FE in with the stuff I have?

As far as cost it's pretty close because I'm going to have to get new headers most likely for the FE if it goes in the CCX as I'm not sure the ones I have for the other build will work and I still have to buy a distributor and other misc stuff.

Downside to putting in the FE is having to change the motor mounts. If I just put the tranny behind the 460 I only have to modify the tranny mount.

I have to deal with the driveshaft either way.

Yeah, I know, it's a terrible problem to have.

What are your thoughts?
Dimis likes this.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:58 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

I'd put the TKO behind the 460 and drive the wheels off of it!
Old 02-01-2018, 01:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Cool problem. Here’s my take.

You bought the contemporary for a reason... seemingly to drive one while the other was in progress.

So if it were me, I’d leave it (the contemporary) drivable for as long as it took for me to finish the original semi-scratch build.

Then of course, once that’s done, I’d move my attention to fixing the contemporary and sliding in another FE.

It’s a WIN WIN all round!

Enjoy.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

I agree with the prior posts in that, you should go the quickest route with the Contemporary and get it back on the road. You got it to drive, right? Not to be another project sitting in the garage. Drive it and use it as a release for those times when the new project gets frustrating.
Gaz64 likes this.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Have you driven it yet? I would leave it alone for now. Sometimes driving an auto is fun. I wouldn't intentionally build a three speed auto. But since you already have it, drive it around for a while and have some fun. Especially if it has a fun shifter to play with when you want to.
Dennis Mosley likes this.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 02-01-2018, 06:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2004 Kirkham 427 S/C, Shelby 496C.I.
Not Ranked     

I side with just swap the transmission so you can drive the car. Enjoy it instead of getting frustrated because you can't drive it yet.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3542K, 347 C. I., EFI, T-5, Miata Front Sway Bar, 3 Link, Red with White Stripes
Not Ranked     

Just get it running and driveable. The TCC Spring Meet is just around the corner.
FFR3542K, 347, Holley Sniper EFI, T-5, 4 Wheel Discs, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes
Old 02-01-2018, 08:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull81 View Post
Just get it running and driveable. The TCC Spring Meet is just around the corner.
That's the main reason it's in the garage. Don't plan to miss this year. After being at the first few and even getting the honor of being the 3rd president, I hate when I don't have a car or even worse...have to work! My rooms are booked and I will be there.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcowan View Post
Have you driven it yet? I would leave it alone for now. Sometimes driving an auto is fun. I wouldn't intentionally build a three speed auto. But since you already have it, drive it around for a while and have some fun. Especially if it has a fun shifter to play with when you want to.
I have driven it a little. It had a couple things I needed to fix that were just not done to my liking but it was able to be driven. The gas and brake were so far apart that I literally needed to drive with both feet. That has been corrected along with a couple of other issues. I plan on driving it while I gather the bellhousing and flywheel but didn't really like the auto much at all. It may still be in the car for the TCC meet but will be out and replaced as soon as I can timewise and moneywise swing it. That should be a 1 day project except for the drive shaft that I will have to get made.

I think from the comments it confirms what I was going to do and that's leave the 460 in the car and just swap out the transmission.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am a glutton for punishment sometimes, but even I wouldn't mess with that.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: