View Single Post
Old 06-04-2018, 01:32 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Hi David,

I have an ERA FIA with the TKO 600, 0.82 OD, 3.54 rear axle ratio and a 5 speed shift knob. A great combination recommend by ERA and many here have the same setup.

You asked ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crendonman427sc View Post

…… That now leaves the Transmission. Would like to go BW T10/ Toploader (Long tail/short tail?) for Period correctness, but a Tremec TKO 500/600 is also a great choice.

Does anyone know, which unit will give me the correct shift stick position in the cockpit?

Any ideas?

Thanks as always

There are actually two dimensions to consider.

1 - Where the shifter comes through the transmission tunnel in relation to 'front to back', closer to the firewall or closer to the rear bulk head.

2 - Where the shifter comes through the transmission tunnel, offset towards the driver or passenger. The originals with a T10 / Top Loader use an external shifter linkage, so the shifter lever will be biased towards the driver (left). With the TKO gearbox, the shifter comes right out of the gearbox, and on the ERA it will be biased slightly towards the passenger (right). It is a subtle but noticeable difference. So, at a clausal glance, as long as one uses the stubby shifter with a 4 speed knob, most people would not know if it's a T10 / Top Loader or a modern gearbox in the car.

For the TKO 600 here are some mounting options for the 'front to back' location of the shifter location, but the side to side is pretty well set.

I have several threads with photos of both setups, but since Photobucket started charging a ridiculous about of money for hosting photos, I have yet to update my threads with updated photos.

Poke around and you will come across some photos that illustrate what I am referring to …. or I bet our good friend xb-60 will put a few photos up and you will see what I mean.

Then it's up to you, is it important where the shifter lies side to side, on the transmission tunnel? If it has to look exactly like the originals, then there is your answer, T10 / Top-loader … if it does not matter, then the TKO is an option. Your call.

Good luck with your build, ERA makes a wonderful Cobra and the 'nit picking planning' which you are doing, is half the fun.

- Tim