Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2018, 04:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA - 1964 - 289 HIPO
Not Ranked     
Default Which Transmission will give me the correct ?

Hi Guys,

Me again with another Semi Tech question.

I have decided to go the original 1963 289 HIPO engine/heads, with all new internals, probably stroking to 331 CI, so its a 5 Bolt.

Considered an original aluminium bellhousing, but after careful consideration of your responses, I have decided upon a QuickTime RM6062 Steel Bell Housing.

That now leaves the Transmission. Would like to go BW T10/ Toploader (Long tail/short tail?) for Period correctness, but a Tremec TKO 500/600 is also a great choice.

Does anyone know, which unit will give me the correct shift stick position in the cockpit?

Any ideas?

Thanks as always

Last edited by crendonman427sc; 06-03-2018 at 05:01 AM..
Old 06-03-2018, 05:04 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

The TKO 600 shifter is adjustable and can be within 1" of the original position. Unless you are carrying a tape measure very hard to tell.
Grubby and crendonman427sc like this.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 06-03-2018, 06:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

Richmond Gear Super Street 5 speed is another viable OD option. The stick can be in the same place as a T10.

John
Old 06-03-2018, 06:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Obviously an early T10 would position the shifter as the originals. I think ERA can advise on aa Toploader and shift bracket to fit closely with a short tailhousing. Regarding the TKO - sort of depends how many gears you want to have.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
Obviously an early T10 would position the shifter as the originals. I think ERA can advise on aa Toploader and shift bracket to fit closely with a short tailhousing. Regarding the TKO - sort of depends how many gears you want to have.
A Tremec T-56 won't fit in an ERA without surgery on the frame. Then I would think the driveshaft would be really short.

TKOs fit just fine.

John
Old 06-03-2018, 10:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubby View Post
A Tremec T-56 won't fit in an ERA without surgery on the frame. Then I would think the driveshaft would be really short.

TKOs fit just fine.

John
Thanks Guys,

Sound advice!

I think I will have a word with PP at ERA and also David Kee, just to rouind the issue off.

I am sure they will know ''off by heart'' which configuration will suit my needs
Old 06-03-2018, 05:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

My Toploader isn't fitted yet, but unless I'm much mistaken, the shifter location will be in the correct spot for a 289.
That said, Bob P. is the best person to check with for your ERA 289FIA.

Cheers,
Glen
Old 06-03-2018, 06:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
My Toploader isn't fitted yet, but unless I'm much mistaken, the shifter location will be in the correct spot for a 289.
That said, Bob P. is the best person to check with for your ERA 289FIA.

Cheers,
Glen
Thanks Glen,

I will put a call in to Bob P tomorrow and see what he says.

''I'm too old to know everything''

ERA 289 FIA #2162

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/album.php?albumid=3927
Old 06-04-2018, 01:32 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Hi David,

I have an ERA FIA with the TKO 600, 0.82 OD, 3.54 rear axle ratio and a 5 speed shift knob. A great combination recommend by ERA and many here have the same setup.

You asked ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crendonman427sc View Post

…… That now leaves the Transmission. Would like to go BW T10/ Toploader (Long tail/short tail?) for Period correctness, but a Tremec TKO 500/600 is also a great choice.

Does anyone know, which unit will give me the correct shift stick position in the cockpit?

Any ideas?

Thanks as always

There are actually two dimensions to consider.

1 - Where the shifter comes through the transmission tunnel in relation to 'front to back', closer to the firewall or closer to the rear bulk head.

2 - Where the shifter comes through the transmission tunnel, offset towards the driver or passenger. The originals with a T10 / Top Loader use an external shifter linkage, so the shifter lever will be biased towards the driver (left). With the TKO gearbox, the shifter comes right out of the gearbox, and on the ERA it will be biased slightly towards the passenger (right). It is a subtle but noticeable difference. So, at a clausal glance, as long as one uses the stubby shifter with a 4 speed knob, most people would not know if it's a T10 / Top Loader or a modern gearbox in the car.

For the TKO 600 here are some mounting options for the 'front to back' location of the shifter location, but the side to side is pretty well set.

I have several threads with photos of both setups, but since Photobucket started charging a ridiculous about of money for hosting photos, I have yet to update my threads with updated photos.

Poke around and you will come across some photos that illustrate what I am referring to …. or I bet our good friend xb-60 will put a few photos up and you will see what I mean.

Then it's up to you, is it important where the shifter lies side to side, on the transmission tunnel? If it has to look exactly like the originals, then there is your answer, T10 / Top-loader … if it does not matter, then the TKO is an option. Your call.

Good luck with your build, ERA makes a wonderful Cobra and the 'nit picking planning' which you are doing, is half the fun.

- Tim
xb-60 likes this.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes indeed Tim, I can “put a few photos up” of your setup.

Here’s ERA2136’s tunnel and dash with shifter yet to be fitted…

Here’s the finished shifter fitment, showing the relativity of the shifter to the seats and dash…

]

…and in the pic below, the shifter to the left with the 4-speed pattern isn’t a reverse lock-out for dragging, it is the actual shift lever that’s going onto my Toploader

Hope this helps you David

Cheers,
Glen

Last edited by xb-60; 06-04-2018 at 10:33 PM..
Old 06-04-2018, 06:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold ERA FIA 2139, 331 Weber IDF
Not Ranked     

https://shiftsst.com/store/shifters/...shift-kit.html

^ These guys make a mid shifter kit for the TKO 5 speed. This will place your shifter closer to the dash as the stock 289 location.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The mid-shift location on a TKO transmission is too far forward. Turning the shifter around in the rear-shift location gets it pretty close to the T-10L location, as far as front to back goes. It's about 3/4" or so off as measured from the bellhousing back as I remember. T-10L shifter is 16" back from the bellhousing.

There are other factors involved though, like engine location in relation to the transmission tunnel and the shape of the transmission tunnel as well. All effect shifter location.
Larry
Old 06-04-2018, 12:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

^Sorry, yes you are correct. Flipping the TKO stock shifter gets you pretty close at 16.5 inches from the end of the bellhousing to the center of the shifter.
LMH likes this.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Having the TKO shifter off set to the right drove me crazy. I cut the stub shifter and welded with an off set so the shifter was centered.

The shifter could easily be cut and welded far enough left to look like a T-10. It just depends how "original" you want to get.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Guys, for your valuable contributions.

Bob Putnam sent me a Build Manual yesterday and I have considered the options.

I am now leaning towards a TKO 600 Transmission. (Wide Bolt Pattern at Bellhousing).

together with a 289 HIPO 5 Bolt Block with a QuickTime RM6062 (6.3'' Depth).

Originally the early 289 Block had a narrow bolt bellhouse for the transmission, but the QuickTime offers both narrow and wide bolt patterns.

I have two concerns:

1) Will I need a 5/8'' spacer to stop the input shaft bottoming out in the crankshaft?

2) Will I need to modify a new $680 Bellhousing and remove part of the bellhousing bottom flange as suggested in the ERA manual (Page 33), I really hope not!

Any other comments/observations

Thanks

ERA 289 FIA #2162

Old 06-05-2018, 03:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

From memory, all/most seem to recommend that the bottom of the scattershield will need trimming, otherwise it will protrude down too low ...and will 'catch' on things you don't want it to hit.
I will be trimming my QT.

Cheers,
Glen
Old 06-05-2018, 04:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A shortened input shaft is available for the TKO to fit the 6.3" bell housing so that you do not have to use the spacer. Not that I am pushing Silver Sport, but I am a satisfied customer. Click on the specification tab in the link below.

https://shiftsst.com/store/transmiss...ko-5speed.html
Old 06-05-2018, 05:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quicktime offers two bell housings for the FE - one has full, large bolt patterns around the perimeter and a wide flange - the other has a narrower flange and just a couple of small threaded fasteners at the bottom. I believe both are SFI rated but they may not be to the same standard. I have the latter and it barely hangs below my pan and the frame rails - maybe 3/8 inch. The other one with the wide flange hangs down considerably more like a Lakewood. This one would probably need trimming. I don't know if 289 Bell housings are the same.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
From memory, all/most seem to recommend that the bottom of the scattershield will need trimming, otherwise it will protrude down too low ...and will 'catch' on things you don't want it to hit.
I will be trimming my QT.

Cheers,
Glen
Hi Glen,

Surely the Canton Oil Pan would hit something first, before the flange of the Scattershield hit if they were that low??

I am trying to figure this out in my head (before I commit to buying a certain type or model) but Technical Dimension Drawings from manufacturers, seem to be fairly thin on the ground.

David

ERA 289 FIA #2162

Old 06-05-2018, 10:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

David,

I am not sure how much they differ between manufactures, but with my SPF 289 FIA using the 3" tubular frame and transverse leaf springs, I did not have to trim anything off of the bottom of the Quicktime bellhousing and have had no issues on the race track. The trimming of the bell housing might be more of an FE concern.

Safest bet would be to call Doug at ERA.

Jim