Thread: Burning oil
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2018, 10:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Burning oil

Hi all, customer delivered his Factory Five car to our shop this week with complaints of excessive oil usage. We totally looked over the car with no apparent signs of any major leak. He clames he is using 1 quart per 1K miles ( that's a lot) driving down the road no signs at all of any blue smoke, however upon start up it smokes (blue) for about 2 min then lets up. He had a compression checked my a reputable local Ford dealer and they said everything looked fine the problem is somewhere else. I don't have the results at the moment. We removed the intake and right away we saw what might be the problem. Both sides of the intake manifold gaskets were disintegrating, oil soaked and looked like old cardboard. Now these gaskets are black in color and we were told this type of gasket was not suitable for street use, racing only. This to me didn't sound right, so we are replacing them with Fel-Pro one and hope this will take of the problem. While we had it apart we decided to have the heads checked and reworked.....good thing.
They needed everything, from guides to harden seats. My question does this intake gasket theory sound right? I think this was one of many issues.
Thanks