Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tom Wells

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-15-2018, 10:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Burning oil

Hi all, customer delivered his Factory Five car to our shop this week with complaints of excessive oil usage. We totally looked over the car with no apparent signs of any major leak. He clames he is using 1 quart per 1K miles ( that's a lot) driving down the road no signs at all of any blue smoke, however upon start up it smokes (blue) for about 2 min then lets up. He had a compression checked my a reputable local Ford dealer and they said everything looked fine the problem is somewhere else. I don't have the results at the moment. We removed the intake and right away we saw what might be the problem. Both sides of the intake manifold gaskets were disintegrating, oil soaked and looked like old cardboard. Now these gaskets are black in color and we were told this type of gasket was not suitable for street use, racing only. This to me didn't sound right, so we are replacing them with Fel-Pro one and hope this will take of the problem. While we had it apart we decided to have the heads checked and reworked.....good thing.
They needed everything, from guides to harden seats. My question does this intake gasket theory sound right? I think this was one of many issues.
Thanks
Old 12-15-2018, 11:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Intake gasket failure is number one cause for oil use on an FE.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

and the "felpro one" you replaced it with is which one?
Old 12-15-2018, 12:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

classical,

The Fel-Pro Print-O-Seal gaskets had no shim steel reinforcement, they therefore got the nickname "Fail-Pro Print-O-Leak."

The problem arises after a number of heat cycles on a street engine some parts of the gasket creep away, creating an opening between the intake and the head. If you were lucky, it was a vacuum leak; if you were not, it was a coolant leak into the engine. Race engines didn't have that problem because their intake gaskets were replaced regularly - not so for the street engines.

Here's a thread describing and picturing one such failure: 390 problems | Capital Area Cobra Club

We have experienced these failures on all kinds of common Cobra powerplants including FEs, 385s, 289s, 351s, you name it.

After we cornered the Fel-Pro tech guy at a PRI show some years ago, they switched to a steel shim reinforced design which seems to have cured that problem. I understand the steel reinforced gasket has a "S" suffix to identify it. I still prefer the Victor Reinz...

Tom
RET_COP likes this.
Old 12-15-2018, 12:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Oil Burning

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWB View Post
and the "felpro one" you replaced it with is which one?
Fel-pro 90145
Old 12-15-2018, 01:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA2041 sold 2021
Not Ranked     

I had this same problem on a 351W with the black FelPro gaskets. And, they were steel reinforced with a very thin sheet of steel. I replaced with Cometic gaskets, which use Victor Reinz material and no problems since.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Neutral     

Hi,

What about the Edlebrock 7224 intake gaskets? I just bought one of there manifolds and was told to use that gasket. I hope I didn't make a mistake.

Joey.S
Old 12-15-2018, 04:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

The 90145 is fine. The Mr. Gasket 202A is fine too.

Use silicone on both sides of the gasket.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Oil Burning

Ok, got it. Thanks all very helpful.