View Single Post
Old 02-17-2019, 08:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default CR Body Mount and Door Cutout Question

I dug into archives on the older body mounting posts which proved very helpful but I realize they dont address the current issue I am facing and curious if anyone has input.

Does everyone leave the door cutouts in until the final install of the body? I wonder if the answer to this question answers my other questions.

When we installed the body for fitment we observed the body contacts the frame correctly at the front wheel wells (with weather stripping installed), on the front part of the cowl hoop, and behind the seats where roll bar goes through body.

However, along the door sills, the back bar of the cowl, and the floor under seats is currently floating about 1/2-5/8" above the frame rails or floor rails.

Our initial thought was the body was caught on something in the rear that was not allowing it to drop appropriately, but after investigation and further reading manual and older posts, the back is the last step, and people are often raising it a bit for correct alignment.

That brings me back to the door cutouts, I imagine with the cutouts removed the mid section of the car would have more flex and might draw down appropriately at the sills for fit-up.

We unfortunately did our long and painful door fitment procedures already not realizing our body was floating high so that might involve round 2. Both Don and DV in previous posts explained securing the 1/4-20 body bolts at sill to set body in order to set door.

I am leary of doing that unless I put rubber iso mounts in between the frame and body to secure it where it lies, or remove door cutouts in order to allow body to flex better and drop to the frame. But I do plan to remove the body for paint and am concerned removing cutouts and still lifting and taking the body off and on again could be problematic.

Any thoughts?