View Single Post
Old 02-18-2019, 09:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427sc
Not Ranked     

I picked up the 3500 set shortly after taking ownership of an ERA 427 last Spring, and it's gotten a ton of use. I always also set up jack stands as well just in case. I've got the aluminum 2-ton set from Harbor Freight. The rear set fits just about perfect at the highest settings (both lift and jacks) with the rubber covers. The front needs to go on the cross bar that is raised a bit further than the side frames, so I've been using the extra rubber blocks that came with the lift to make up the difference. Close, but not perfect, and never sure if things would just immediately tumble down if there was ever a problem, but seems better than nothing.

That said, the stands in the front are often in the way.

The lifts themselves need to be inset under the car since they are too long to fit between the front and rear wheels. This winds up not leaving enough room in between to roll my creeper. Maybe I need to find a narrower one. Funny story, I convinced my wife to ride with me to Harbor Freight when I went to pick it up, but then discovered it wouldn't fit in the trunk, so I had to send her home in an Uber while I drove home with the creeper in the passenger seat! I guess that should have been a clue.

I've been eyeing the Sunex peg-like jack stands as a replacement, but haven't pulled the trigger on those yet. I'd love a set with that form factor that had screw like adjustment for guaranteeing a perfect fit.

My other concern with the lifts it that I'm always tempted to reach through them (e g. to grab a tool), but immediately hear that voice in the back of my head warning, "this is how you lose an arm!". The QuickJack folks have a great video of severely overloading one of their jacks, but still..