Old 02-23-2019, 09:09 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison 514, Toploader 4 sp, Jag IRS
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Dominik has been sending me messages from another site for a week or so that he can't log in here. He gets that your 5 attempts are used most of the time and when he doesn't get that it tells him his name or password it wrong. He said he had gotten a new password from the site and it won't accept that either, but most of the time it just tells him he has used his 5 log on attempts.

Anyone here have any suggestions as to what he could try?

Ron
Hi Ron,

Talked to my IT guy for 5 minutes and he offered some thoughts to consider (I tried to keep up with him).

He felt it likely a corrupt database field/file on this user account. He suggested a site admin (perhaps Jamo if he has those rights if Brent is busy) try manually clearing that database (password) field and enter the intended password and see if it re-established function.

So it sounds likely a database issue needing maintenance/repair. So whatever software database is being used to support the vBulletin web interface on this site, whether sql or otherwise, he’d need to know which one to further assist.

It’s less likely, but entirely possible it’s a database issue impacting a larger set of users with a common characteristic, but other members of that set haven’t tried logging in yet. However it doesn’t sound like that at this point. Also, could be a bot impacting his account, but again less likely, or at least down the remedial path a ways.

If initial easy steps don’t remedy, it could end up requiring his account to be blown out and re-established as a new account. Hopefully not, as that can jeopardize history information depending on a few things.

Lastly, next rendition of server consideration down the road for this site may include further consideration of a hosted server situation where database updating/maintenance/repair is ongoing in the service. He’s run his own such sites before and helped many business/club/social sites, both ways, and does like this approach in many situations, it can help depending on needs, cost/value, etc.

I’m sure Brent likely knows the above info and readily handles such ongoing. So, if he just can’t get to it right away, as you seem to indicate on your other site, then just wondering if Jamo can try clearing/resetting the entry in that password field.

(Added: Also meant to mention that even though Dominik is receiving site notice messages indicating it's reset and/or provided a new password, which doesn't work, the password field itself likely isn't actually saving such password, even though the notice goes out, if the field is corrupt at the time.)

Best of luck Club Cobra Team! Brent

Last edited by EM-0785; 02-23-2019 at 09:30 AM.. Reason: Punctuation