View Single Post
Old 04-02-2019, 04:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     
Default Model A Ford and 32 Ford prices

Well I always loved the 32 Fords, and have a soft spot for the Model A. I grew up around Model T and Model A Fords. I toyed with the idea of a 32 - 3 window, so I decided to look at some prices, which lead to looking at the Model A as well.

Two things struck me off guard. One, you can buy pretty much a brand new metal body and frame that all parts will interchange with an original, but at a premium price.

Second, original restored Model A Fords in good running order can be bought for $12K to $20K all day long. One that was restored long ago and starting to show some wear closer to $12K. A rough one that runs can be had for $8K.

I always hated the thought of an original antique being chopped up to make a hot rod. I don't want no laws passed, but I frown on it nonetheless. It kills me to see this cost incentive. Why pay $30K for a new body, when you can grab an original for $8K, sell the drive train and unused parts for $2K+.

It sounds like there just isn't many people interested in owning an original Model A anymore. I suspect another 30 yrs and the Cobra will go the same route. It's a shame, but life happens.

Last edited by olddog; 04-02-2019 at 04:36 PM..