• 1 Post By twobjshelbys

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2019, 04:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     
Default Model A Ford and 32 Ford prices

Well I always loved the 32 Fords, and have a soft spot for the Model A. I grew up around Model T and Model A Fords. I toyed with the idea of a 32 - 3 window, so I decided to look at some prices, which lead to looking at the Model A as well.

Two things struck me off guard. One, you can buy pretty much a brand new metal body and frame that all parts will interchange with an original, but at a premium price.

Second, original restored Model A Fords in good running order can be bought for $12K to $20K all day long. One that was restored long ago and starting to show some wear closer to $12K. A rough one that runs can be had for $8K.

I always hated the thought of an original antique being chopped up to make a hot rod. I don't want no laws passed, but I frown on it nonetheless. It kills me to see this cost incentive. Why pay $30K for a new body, when you can grab an original for $8K, sell the drive train and unused parts for $2K+.

It sounds like there just isn't many people interested in owning an original Model A anymore. I suspect another 30 yrs and the Cobra will go the same route. It's a shame, but life happens.
120mm likes this.

Last edited by olddog; 04-02-2019 at 04:36 PM..
Old 04-02-2019, 05:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratchbuild, 289 FIA Replica
Not Ranked     

The problem with Model As, is that they made a metric shed load of them, and the bodies had Vanadium in the steel. They just don't rust out like the other American cars.

That means there are still a metric shed load of them around.

Hot Rodders just cannot rod enough of them to make a bit of difference in their scarcity.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Factory Five will sell you a replica 33.
120mm likes this.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Factory Five will sell you a replica 33.
I was aware. Well actually I have seen at least one (could be the same car year after year) at the London car show, as FFR always has some cars on display.

They always display the roadster, no top, no fenders, no running boards, etc. Basically a stripped down hot rod. My personal taste is, I want all those missing parts. I pretty much like 'em the way Henry designed them, as far as looks go. I don't like the wood floors, sorry brakes, etc.

So I'm looking at FFR website, and they do offer a removable hard top, fenders, and running boards. Then I notice the fine print disclaimer, "running boards are not load bearing design." WTF? Why would I want running boards, if I cannot step on the Fing thing. Who the hell would want them on there if they had to step over them?

Oh yea I'm quite aware that I could modify them to take the load. At these prices I shouldn't have to. I can buy a perfect steel body for not much more.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane, 351W bored and stroked to 408
Not Ranked     

You might look at McGill Manufacturing. He makes Cobra, 32 and 34 replicas. which are more like the originals vs FF 33.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: