View Single Post
Old 06-22-2019, 10:14 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison 514, Toploader 4 sp, Jag IRS
Not Ranked     
Default Electrical System Reference/Education

Any recommendations on reference information (text and/or live training course/series) on basic auto electrical for cars/systems like ours?

I’d like a better holistic understanding of the electrical concepts, theory, design, and application related to my Cobra replica.

I tend to be a hands-on learner, but do best when I start with some simple, relevant conceptual understanding of systems that become relevant in the work.

Having changed various basic stand-alone wires, modules, ignition switches, and learning to test a relay, that’s about it. I’d like be better equipped to troubleshoot, to even better follow club troubleshooting advice, and to upgrade.

Over time, I’d like to clean up my gauge wire routing, incorporate plugs to modularize for smaller section runs (at firewalls, engine bay splits, etc.), eliminate black tape in favor of removable covering just taped at ends, add a main power post in engine bay, revise certain wiring routes, etc. (Added: Also to verify and lower any high load to capacity ratios throughout the system. For example, via relays, lower gauge wires if needed (and if within range), enhanced connections, connection protection, etc.)

Also, to add certain LED lights once a clear solution has presented itself, add power ports in the cockpit, etc. Granted some of this may be more modern application also, unless covered in classic car electrical materials nowadays.

The text options online are many and seem to often be derived from, or lead to, other specific applications. Also, maybe a hands-on lab doesn’t exist and we need to create one!

Thanks, Brent

Last edited by EM-0785; 06-22-2019 at 12:37 PM.. Reason: Puntuation, 'Added' info, added 'live training'