LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2019, 10:14 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison 514, Toploader 4 sp, Jag IRS
Not Ranked     
Default Electrical System Reference/Education

Any recommendations on reference information (text and/or live training course/series) on basic auto electrical for cars/systems like ours?

I’d like a better holistic understanding of the electrical concepts, theory, design, and application related to my Cobra replica.

I tend to be a hands-on learner, but do best when I start with some simple, relevant conceptual understanding of systems that become relevant in the work.

Having changed various basic stand-alone wires, modules, ignition switches, and learning to test a relay, that’s about it. I’d like be better equipped to troubleshoot, to even better follow club troubleshooting advice, and to upgrade.

Over time, I’d like to clean up my gauge wire routing, incorporate plugs to modularize for smaller section runs (at firewalls, engine bay splits, etc.), eliminate black tape in favor of removable covering just taped at ends, add a main power post in engine bay, revise certain wiring routes, etc. (Added: Also to verify and lower any high load to capacity ratios throughout the system. For example, via relays, lower gauge wires if needed (and if within range), enhanced connections, connection protection, etc.)

Also, to add certain LED lights once a clear solution has presented itself, add power ports in the cockpit, etc. Granted some of this may be more modern application also, unless covered in classic car electrical materials nowadays.

The text options online are many and seem to often be derived from, or lead to, other specific applications. Also, maybe a hands-on lab doesn’t exist and we need to create one!

Thanks, Brent

Last edited by EM-0785; 06-22-2019 at 12:37 PM.. Reason: Puntuation, 'Added' info, added 'live training'
Old 06-22-2019, 11:05 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

My automotive textbooks, from auto shop classes back in the 70's, tend to be pretty darn close to how my ERA is built, including the electrical system. Of course, ERA has a very detailed build manual, wiring info, and a good web site. Now, if you're looking for the old 60's to 70's training courses, like the Ford service training courses, you can find them here:

Library Ford Tech

For learning about the electrical system, you could start with the 1962 Ford Service Course on Electrical System Maintenance and Light Repair on that page. From there, go right down the line on the courses that interest you, like alternators, ignition systems, and working with wiring diagrams. Then, go through the Ford Shop Tips, on that same page. Shop Tips are great and there are detailed discussions on everything from starter systems to fixing rattles. And nothing shuts people up faster on internet debates about "how it was back in the day" than pulling out a Ford Shop Tips that specifically discusses the issue, in detailed depth (like, how low does the oil pressure have to go before the light comes on in a 427).
Gaz64 and EM-0785 like this.
Old 06-22-2019, 06:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Semi-specific to ERAs but...
http://erareplicas.com/427man/wiring/wprimer.pdf
EM-0785 likes this.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:21 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison 514, Toploader 4 sp, Jag IRS
Not Ranked     

Thanks much you guys, this is exactly the type of information I was hoping for!

Pat – While I’m often on the MustangTek site decoding part numbers, I had not a clue they had a Ford Tech Library section. What a treasure trove of pertinent information there! I downloaded the ones topical here, and several bonus finds. I’ll prioritize and likely read all probably over about a years’ time.

Bob – I consider anything ERA to be top notch, referring often to the website and particularly the 427 manual. However, I’ve not read the Electricity and Wiring Primer. It looks ‘very’ pertinent, tying certain related theory/design to the specific (ERA/Cobra) application, which mine is fairly similar to for layout. Nice work sir, looking forward to reading it and having as a reference.

You guys are the best (well, at least at answering promptly and specifically to this thread anyway )!

Thanks, Brent

Last edited by EM-0785; 06-24-2019 at 09:05 PM..