View Single Post
Old 07-22-2019, 07:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

I have a 12" McLeod clutch and pressure plate 1 3/8 input shaft the top loader trans. throw out system is the old fork lever type. External hydraulic slave cylinder. I originally had a Tilton clutch master cylinder 7/8" dia. it was just marginal. Either I could have either full clutch release or free travel but not both, and I let the adjustment get away from me and disaster followed. The old throw out bearing seized and ground the finger adjustment tips in the pressure plate. So McLeod repaired the pressure plater and cut the aluminum flywheel for the larger 12" steel heat shield (clutch surface). and bought a new McLeod 12" -1 3/8" clutch disk. Then I tried !5/16" diameter master cylinder, that gave me more slave cylinder travel for both free travel and full clutch release. Then later the free travel kept going away. That ended up being The original external slave cylinder was internally pitting and not fully returning with any farther than the pressure plate pushed the bearing back but the cylinder wasn't returning any more with just the lighter slave cylinders return spring and the bearing was still in constant contact with the pressure plate fingers. So I bought a new hydraulic external slave cylinder at a local clutch and brake shop. The new cylinder was all bright and shinny with a new rubber billows. I made a new adjustable push rod more adjustment and hex shoulders to grip-- wrenches not pliers. I ended up with a Tilton 1" dia. master cylinder for the clutch lots of movement but a little more foot pressure, shoes needed. I believe you may be talking about another clutch throw out system.