View Single Post
Old 08-12-2019, 12:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA 626 View Post
I anm to building a 428 FE for my ERA car and now all of you guys have me concerned!! I just bolted mine on but now you guys have me thinking twice! Should I take my motor apart and get them re-done and if so what shall I have done and why???
thanks,
Mike
wow I am on vacation bored while the wife gets ready doing her hair... I started looking through these old posts and stumbled across my old post here...

I was concerned about these heads as I was a ROOKIE, over the last 16 years on owning/building motors I have learned a great deal about clearances and spring pressure.
I ended up bolting those heads on my 428 right out of the box (advice from a friend)... BIG MISTAKE with in 10 min on the run stand my cam went flat! needless to say. I should have NEVER done that. lesson learned. I ended up sending the entire 428 to guessford machine and having him build me a CSX aluminum 427 (454) for me...

a year or so later that motor had problems related to the way the valve train was shimmed, valve spring pressure... again lesson learned. I fixed it my self and 13 years later zero issues.