View Single Post
Old 08-15-2019, 04:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     
Default Thinking cam removal in the engine bay is do-able

Sorry RUF pulling a cobra motor is a PITA and more work than required.

I could remove an alfa motor and gearbox from an old alfa I had in 40 minutes, but not that time for the cobra!

A few pics to convince myself with a bit of management, the swap can be done not only in-situ but apparently with the radiator still in place.

The length of the E cam - 500mm.

The space in front of the motor, showing 500mm, with thermo fan just to the extreme left of shot and the upper cross frame (chromed) in shot at about the 200mm spot.

The height and location of the upper chassis cross frame in front of the engine.

Reviewing footage the camshaft appears almost directly behind the centre of the water pump pulley. The top of that bit of timber is just at the lower side of the cross bar.

So with the necessary engine and other peripheral parts stripped, the engine supported by an engine crane and with the engine mounts removed so I can lower the engine a tad, I think I can manage that slight drop that will allow the camshaft to be removed under the cross rail.

Looked at other factors in the engine bay that might prevent the engine drop but none are obvious.

In the words of The Castle - "Am I dreaming"???

Optimistic me!

So tell me I'm wrong and why, so I can really have a good look.

Cheers

Steve