View Single Post
Old 06-03-2020, 12:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
It's going to be tough to put together a nicely equipped FE based 427 car for under six figures. Not impossible, but tough. And as a side note, I've followed more than a few "I'm going to build this car with my son" threads. On every one that I can remember, the son lost interest along the way.
In fact, I would assert that if you did an inventory of "I've got a kit and I'm gonna build a car" after 5 years, most of them sit unfinished in a garage, and a significant number of them appear here for sale for pennies on the dollar 10 years later. People severely underestimate the number of hours it takes to put together one of these. They also think it's a one person job - it ain't and acquiring volunteer labor as a helper is a long term commitment that fades quickly.

That's why my advice to anyone building a kit to think they are saving money really needs to rethink their strategy. Especially since the Cobra is such a finicky car, many find they are inappropriate (e.g, my love affair with the Cobra ended up choosing the Cobra or my wife, I kept the wife and we finished 45 years this weekend).

The other reason to buy a kit (of any kind) is the love of fabrication. If that is your desire then please do it. I'll also advise there are other "kits" that are more suitable to a first time assembler than a Cobra. Cobras have only two straight lines: the two frame tubes. Nothing willl line up. It's a task and requires sometimes some machining to overcome. And like it or not, youi're going to have to buy, beg, borrow or steal tools you don't have and will only use once. As mentioned, add that to the cost.

Good luck. ERAs are great cars, but I'd buy a finished one and enjoy driving it first. Then build one if you truly love the Cobra.