Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree19Likes
  • 2 Post By ERA 626
  • 1 Post By patrickt
  • 2 Post By Alfa02
  • 1 Post By KDubU
  • 1 Post By Unique427
  • 1 Post By KDubU
  • 1 Post By Moritz55
  • 1 Post By 6TNCRZY
  • 2 Post By HankF
  • 1 Post By patrickt
  • 2 Post By twobjshelbys
  • 2 Post By R&B back
  • 1 Post By Dwight
  • 1 Post By patrickt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2020, 09:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A
Not Ranked     
Default Another newbie cobra fanatic

Hey guys. Hank here! Yes, I am one of the many I see on here who is finally pulling the trigger on a lifelong dream. I always wanted to build a kit with my son, but could never pin him down long enough to help with anything. Soo, I am now 50 and finally biting the bullet. After much research, I am putting a deposit down next week on a 427 kit from E.R.A. After tons of research, I still don't know exactly which engine or tranny I will end up with, but I know I will be trying to find a good block and doing as much as I can to keep this thing under $45-50k. I live in south metro Atlanta (Sharpsburg) and would love to hear from some fellow cobra enthusiasts in the area to get some ideas on the build. Probably 14 months before I get the kit, so I plan to start on the engine find/build pretty soon. I am not a traditional "gearhead", but have an engineering background and don't stop til I figure things out! Thanks in advance for any chats or just cobra BS'ing!!
Old 06-02-2020, 11:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

keep what under $50k? the drivetrain? The car itself will be far north of $50k I strongly recommend going with a 427 FE. I owned an ERA for 16+ years loved the car.
Go with all the top of the line parts, figure out how to pay over the next 2 years it will take to get the car... you will be happy you did, as you will overtime forget about the $$ but you will regret cheaping out. If you want to talk PM me. Ill call you.
twobjshelbys and HankF like this.
Old 06-02-2020, 03:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Mike! I will give you a shout!
Old 06-02-2020, 03:26 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

50 is a good age... I remember it well. But, there is no way you will keep it under $50k. If that's really an issue, then you should rethink buying an ERA. Personally, I think it's the finest glass Cobra on the face of the planet and it's the coolest toy I've ever owned.
HankF likes this.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

If you are targeting 50K for the completed project you should rethink your plan. The ERA part is going to be a significant part of that if not that much. You should figure 20K+ just for the engine/trans/exhaust etc. More than that for a FE style, and if you find a used one, it can cost that much just to get it working. Lots of people here will get you into a 427CI Windsor for 20K-ish, more if you want fuel injection.

Are you really sure you want the task of assembling a kit? First, it's a multi-year task, and if you've never done that kind of assembly, it will involve lots of tools that you don't have and will never use again. That just starts the unexpected expenses. You should also figure on a lift. More bucks...

If you want a Cobra find a finished one and buy it... At least you can drive it to see if it's for you.

Good luck

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 06-02-2020 at 05:14 PM..
Old 06-02-2020, 06:49 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

I wouldn't even comment about the 50K price, the other member's have that covered for you. First Congrants on ordering a ERA, I personally think one of the best (Money wise or not) Cobras out there. If I every buy another Cobra (have 2 already) it would be a 289FIA ERA. Good to have you here, you are now a member of the BEST Cobra site out there, bar none, all because of our great people here. Cheers TommyRot.
rads42 and HankF like this.
Old 06-03-2020, 04:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five, 351w
Not Ranked     

Congrats on among the decision! An ERA is a beautiful replica and understand that those that have commented about your budget are providing a dose of reality. The cost of the ERA alone will use all your budget and you still need drivetrain and that can range depending one what you are looking at. What are your intentions with car, casual driving or track? You can get a nice setup for $14-16k but you cannot get a FE and personally I would not want one. If you want the right to say “she has a 427”, then a stroked 351 with a TKO600 will set you back closer to $20k +/- depending on the parts used. Then there is paint and all this is not assuming additional options you may have included. If I recall looking at ERA costs back in 2009 it was between $55-60k, in 2020 I think you need to add $30-40k.

Let us know which model and options you are planning. Remember though that others like to spend your money.
HankF likes this.
Old 06-03-2020, 04:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

KDubU stated what I was thinking.

Revise your budget for an all-in minimum number of $85K.
If it was me that number would be $100K.

If you're planning to do much of the assembly yourself, be sure
to budget also for the required tools and fixtures needed.

At age 50 I assume this as a "One and done" scenario.
Make sure the $$$ are there so you're not faced with
cutting corners on the finished product.

Best of luck.
HankF likes this.
Old 06-03-2020, 05:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five, 351w
Not Ranked     

Took another look at ERA’s site and a complete 427 SC roller painted is $47k, not that bad at all. I thought the paint would be a lot more but I have not seen the quality of the factory paint jobs. Then there are tires, $1-2k, engine which can be all over but a 306 would be about $8-9k, transmission is another $2.5-3k and then throw in another $5k for good measure. Total is around $65k for a 306, closer to $68k for a 347, $70k for a 351, $75-80k for a 427 sbf. Still seems a bit low to me.

One can get into the 289 a bit cheaper and those are beauties!
HankF likes this.
Old 06-03-2020, 05:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, '65 427/MKIII with Roush V8 - 351W w/770cfm 4BBL Holley, 514hp
Not Ranked     

Hello Hank as KDuBu says.... My preference was Roush 427SR crate engine .. tranny is a Tremec TKO 600 5sp and Ford 9"Rear End IDS. The small block V8 427SR is a 351W block and lighter for easier handling which I like (just my preference) .. Roush has a warranty and also does add a little more in resale value. It is Dyno'd at 514HP .. which is plenty for me as I don't track/race my Cobra. I think engine prices for this are roughly $14k-$15k depending on options/customizing as KDuBu stays....

Good luck on your build!
HankF likes this.

Mark

Superformance: SPO2454 , Titanium w/Black Stripes
Engine: Roush 427SR w/770cfm 4-Barrel Holley
Transmission: Tremec TKO-600
Old 06-03-2020, 08:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2158, ERA 427SC 649 sold
Not Ranked     

I bought ERA 427 #649 and owned it for a year to figure out how I wanted to build my own. My new ERA chassis/body should be coming soon (ordered 3 years ago this week). My brother now owns #649, a really nice car. He has lots of cars and might be persuaded to part with it in your price range, to build it today would be at least 85K, and then there is the wait (your son will be in collage when you get it)
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for all of the responses. All great info! And yes, I was looking way harder at budget last night and realize I am looking at more like $80K min and I may def be undershooting that! My goal is to enjoy for occasional street use, but still carry 500+HP and keep to the FE engine family for authentic feel.. But I am going to build this thing if it's the last thing I do, and I'll be definitely looking for more advice so thanks all in advance!!
rads42 and DSigel like this.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:11 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

It's going to be tough to put together a nicely equipped FE based 427 car for under six figures. Not impossible, but tough. And as a side note, I've followed more than a few "I'm going to build this car with my son" threads. On every one that I can remember, the son lost interest along the way.
HankF likes this.
Old 06-03-2020, 12:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
It's going to be tough to put together a nicely equipped FE based 427 car for under six figures. Not impossible, but tough. And as a side note, I've followed more than a few "I'm going to build this car with my son" threads. On every one that I can remember, the son lost interest along the way.
In fact, I would assert that if you did an inventory of "I've got a kit and I'm gonna build a car" after 5 years, most of them sit unfinished in a garage, and a significant number of them appear here for sale for pennies on the dollar 10 years later. People severely underestimate the number of hours it takes to put together one of these. They also think it's a one person job - it ain't and acquiring volunteer labor as a helper is a long term commitment that fades quickly.

That's why my advice to anyone building a kit to think they are saving money really needs to rethink their strategy. Especially since the Cobra is such a finicky car, many find they are inappropriate (e.g, my love affair with the Cobra ended up choosing the Cobra or my wife, I kept the wife and we finished 45 years this weekend).

The other reason to buy a kit (of any kind) is the love of fabrication. If that is your desire then please do it. I'll also advise there are other "kits" that are more suitable to a first time assembler than a Cobra. Cobras have only two straight lines: the two frame tubes. Nothing willl line up. It's a task and requires sometimes some machining to overcome. And like it or not, youi're going to have to buy, beg, borrow or steal tools you don't have and will only use once. As mentioned, add that to the cost.

Good luck. ERAs are great cars, but I'd buy a finished one and enjoy driving it first. Then build one if you truly love the Cobra.
rads42 and Jaydee like this.
Old 06-03-2020, 12:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 428FE
Not Ranked     
Default ERA in Marietta GA

Hi Hank,
I am in Marietta GA. I ordered an ERA in 1999 and received it in 2000. I like ERA and one of the reasons I picked ERA was that I could do a lot of the work myself, including the body work and paint. FE engine with 4 sp top loader both out of a 66 Fairlane. It took me three plus years (including test painting junk yard parts ). I did it for the enjoyment and to save a little money. I still have the car if you are in the area and want to stop by please do. Also PM me if you want to talk.

P.S. Your post inspired me to re-join Club Cobra. My old login somehow got outdated.

Chuck
rads42 and HankF like this.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

Hank, I am five hours away in Alabama. Northwest corner. Lots of Cobra guys between us.

In an ERA is would go with a FE motor. Maybe 390 block with stroker kit? A TKO 600 would be my choice for a tranny. Old school would be a top loader but I don't like spinning the motor at 2900 rpms to do 60 mph.

Check Craft Performance and see what Lance has in a FE.
https://craftperformanceengines.com/crate17.html

I have six or eight FE blocks and motor in my back room. This fall I'm pulling the 390 out of my 66 Fairlane and install a 427 center oiler that I'm building.

And all the guys are correct about the budget. $60K to $85K

Please don't put a 302 with a T-5 in it.
HankF likes this.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Well, my son never had interest. He is sharp as a tack, graduated from Ga Tech - data analytics, but has zero mechanical aptitude. Ha. I will just get to enjoy the dream now instead of trying to force it on him.. He's gone to Austin, TX now anyway..
Old 06-04-2020, 07:42 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankF View Post
Well, my son never had interest. He is sharp as a tack, graduated from Ga Tech - data analytics, but has zero mechanical aptitude. Ha. I will just get to enjoy the dream now instead of trying to force it on him.. He's gone to Austin, TX now anyway..
Tack on a nice MBA with his GT undergrad degree and he'll be able to have ERA build you a nice turnkey before you're 60.
HankF likes this.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Tack on a nice MBA with his GT undergrad degree and he'll be able to have ERA build you a nice turnkey before you're 60.
No doubt!!
Old 06-04-2020, 08:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 723 Shelby 482
Not Ranked     
Default ERA Cobra

Hank,
I live close to you with an ERA. I think I sent you my contact information.

Brent